C-SPAN’s bus tour visits the Danforth Campus

Government-focused cable television network C-SPAN opened their parked tour bus on Mudd Field throughout the debate weekend, offering tours to interested members of the Washington University community.

A crowd of people lined the grass alongside the bus in anticipation of C-SPAN’s initial start-up of tours, which began at 3 p.m. on Oct. 8.

About 100 people showed up to tour the bus, which came equipped with four touch screen computers, three laptops, five flat-screen TVs and one tablet, all bearing information about C-SPAN’s purpose in the upcoming election.

DSC_0115Kayla Steinberg | Student Life

The tour bus, which visits about 36 states each year, serves as a resource center for C-SPAN.

“We are not here to tell you how to vote—we’re just here to give you information,” Vanessa Torres, marketing representative for the C-SPAN tour bus, said.

Students were eager to explore the network from the inside and to have the chance to sit on the famed tour bus couch where past presidential candidates have sat before them.

“I thought it would be cool. It was on the [Student Union] Web page, and it said this event was happening from three to five, and I had time,” senior Andrew Chang said.

In addition to C-SPAN’s bus tour, the network has begun a partnership with telecommunications company Charter, which gave four students from Affton High School, in Affton, Mo., the opportunity to come to Washington University’s campus as media representatives during this debate weekend.

“They received credentials as media and got to see the sights and sounds of campus,” Torres said.