2016 graduate killed in car accident

| Editor-in-Chief

Maggie Ryan, a member of the recently graduated Washington University class of 2016, died Sunday in a car crash on Interstate 70 in Indiana, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori White and Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Justin Carroll announced in an email to students Wednesday.

Ryan and Chryssi Yip, who graduated from Wash. U. in 2013, were on their way to Ryan’s parents’ house in Boston when a tractor-trailer struck her SUV and pushed it under the trailer of another stopped tractor-trailer, according to the website of Indianapolis-based news station WISH-TV.

Ryan—who earned degrees in Anthropology, on then Global Health and Environment track, and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies—was a co-executive director of Dance Marathon while at Wash. U. She was also a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a service fraternity, and sorority Alpha Epsilon Phi.

The tractor-trailer hit Ryan’s car while driving too fast in stop-and-go traffic that was backed up five miles due to construction, according to WISH-TV. The semitrailer also swiped another car before crashing into Ryan’s vehicle.

Yip suffered serious injuries and was taken to a hospital for treatment. All others involved in the accident were unharmed.

Student Life will continue to update this story as more information emerges.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect that Ryan received a major, not minor, in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.