SAE hosts memorial 5K fundraiser to honor deceased brother

Washington University community members gathered for a memorial 5K run on Saturday in honor of student and Sigma Alpha Epsilon brother Jacques de Villiers, who died July 3 after a battle with cancer.

The race in Forest Park drew about 360 participants and raised over $8,000. It was part of SAE’s philanthropic efforts towards Relay For Life, a nationwide organization that fundraises for the American Cancer Society.

Runners and members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity listen to Dilara Hatipoglu speak at the de Villiers Memorial 5K this Saturday. The event raised thousands of dollars for the American Cancer Society in honor of Jacques de Villiers, who died in July 2015.

Shortly after de Villiers’ passing, SAE brothers created a GoFundMe page to begin fundraising in his honor. Donations on the page raised over $17,000—$2,500 of which went to St. Jude Children’s Hospital, $5000 to the Make-A-Wish foundation and the remaining funds to Relay For Life, according to organizer and SAE brother, senior Andrew Fuchs.

Although Relay For Life is a separate event, which will take place this weekend, those close to de Villiers felt that a memorial dedicated specifically to him and his legacy would be a great way to celebrate his life and honor it by helping others.

Fuchs said that they hoped the 5K would help establish de Villiers’ legacy while enhancing community support for the Relay cause.

“It wasn’t just about us, it wasn’t about SAE, it was just about everybody that day. Everyone has their own connection to cancer in some way,” Fuchs said. “So it was both about Jacques and paying tribute to him, but also, it’s a general sort of ‘let’s all fight back against this beast and get together.’”

Ideally, the 5K will become an annual event, even after the principal organizers graduate, Fuchs said.

SAE brother, junior and co-organizer of the 5K Jake Helfrich noted that de Villiers’ parents traveled from their home in Cleveland, Ohio to attend the race.

“The most rewarding thing for us hosting it was seeing Jacques’ parents there. Them hearing the speakers and speaking with them afterwards, it seemed like they were super appreciative of it,” Helfrich said.

Runners start the De Villiers Memorial 5K in Forest Park this past Saturday morning. The event raised money for the American Cancer Society in honor of SAE brother Jacques de Villiers.

Senior Jess Hayes, one of Jacques’ best friends, had the opportunity to speak to the crowd about the importance of fighting back against cancer at the memorial on Saturday.

“This 5K hopefully serves as a reminder to everyone not only of the amazing, beautiful person Jacques was, but also the need for us to step up and prevent this from pervading even more of our campus, let alone the world,” Hayes said in her speech.

She said that giving the speech and honoring de Villiers was a meaningful experience for her.

“This past year I’ve been pretty silent about everything, just kind of coping in my own way, so it was cathartic in a way to be able to finally let everyone know the kind of person that I envision him as, and his personal story with cancer,” Hayes said.

“It’s very hard to put into words. It meant a lot to me, and I was so flattered to be a part of it. I wouldn’t say that it gave me closure, but I think for everyone just a reminder of strong people in our community is something that will always do well for Wash. U. kids and in general,” she said.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect the correct date of Relay For Life.