Guilty verdict found in local man’s kidnapping of WU student from garage

More than a year after he abducted a Washington University law student and forced her to withdraw money from her bank account, a jury has found William Cobbins guilty of kidnapping and other charges, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

On Aug. 28, 2012, a law student getting into her car in the Snow Way garage, located between the Upper Row and the Village House, said she was approached by a man claiming he had a knife, who ordered her to drive him to nearby ATMs and withdraw money from her account. The student drove for around two hours, and Cobbins stole approximately $1,000.

Cobbins, 23, confessed to the crime on Oct. 25 of last year. The jury found him guilty this Nov. 1 after 30 minutes of deliberation, and he will be sentenced on Dec. 5, according to the Post-Dispatch.

Washington University Police Department Chief of Police Don Strom said last fall that it was the first robbery of its kind he could recall during his 13 years at the University.

The Post-Dispatch reports that the jury recommended Cobbins go to prison for 34 years for kidnapping, first-degree robbery and two counts of armed criminal action.