Art student robbed in parking lot behind Cicero’s

| Editor in Chief

Cicero’s is a reataurant and bar on the Delmar Loop. An art student was robbed at gunpoint at the parking lot behind Cicero’s at 6:30 Thursday evening.

A female student from the Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts at Washington University was robbed early Thursday evening in the parking lot behind Cicero’s on the Delmar Loop.

She was not injured, a police report released by the Washington University Police Department said.

The victim reported being approached by two suspects at around 6:30 p.m. One displayed a handgun and demanded her property. She gave the suspects her wallet, and they fled.

The robbery took place only blocks from the Lewis Center, which is a part of the Sam Fox School that houses graduate studios. In an email sent out to all art students, the school advised students to stay cautious.

“Please be vigilant in coming and going to and from the Lewis Center in pairs and take caution in moving from one side of the facility to the other after dark. Although we have been without incident on the Lewis Center grounds, this recent robbery’s proximity to our facility is a concern. Please exercise care and always have a cell phone at hand with peers names and numbers on speed dial,” the email said.

WUPD Chief of Police Don Strom suggested that students be aware that it gets dark early in winter and that they walk in groups whenever possible.

Police are looking for suspects described as a white male, approximately 17 to 19 years of age and 5’11”, and a black male with a thin mustache, approximately 17 to 19 years of age.

University City Police Captain Michael Ransom encourages students to call the police immediately after any crime is committed. He said that this victim conducted other business before contacting the police.

“If [the victim] called earlier, there’s a chance [the suspects] could have been caught,” Ransom said.