Al Gore unavailable to speak on Wash. U.’s campus

| Editor in Chief

Former Vice President Al Gore, who was slated to speak on campus this spring, will no longer appear on campus because of scheduling conflicts.Olivier Douliery | Abaca Press | MCT

Former Vice President Al Gore, who was slated to speak on campus this spring, will no longer appear on campus because of scheduling conflicts.

Former Vice President Al Gore will not be coming to Washington University in the spring, the College Democrats and Student Union announced Tuesday evening.

SU Treasury allocated $92,350 on Sept. 13 for the College Democrats to bring Gore to campus. Gore was the most expensive and recognized speaker appealed for this year.

Junior Sherveen Mashayekhi, president of the College Democrats, said that the Athletic Complex had many dates available for the event, but none fit Gore’s schedule.

“While we regret that the former vice president will not be visiting our campus, we are thankful to the students who supported our appeal and for the support the University has given us,” Mashayekhi said in a press release.

This is not the first time student groups have failed to bring major speakers to campus due to time conflicts and other unforeseen circumstances. Last year, the list of canceled speakers included Harry Belafonte and Richard Gephardt.

The College Democrats’ appeal to bring Bill Maher for $127,000 last year was rejected by Treasury because of the high cost.

In an attempt to discourage Treasury from rejecting speakers for their cost this year, SU’s executive branch created a “big speakers” account of $115,000, intended to cover the cost of one speaker.

“Overall, for the big speakers account from our end it did work in that we did fund a great speaker that a lot of the campus was excited about,” SU President John Harrison York said. “I hope in future years it’s something we continue to strive for.”

Students were also unhappy about the missed opportunity.

“I think it would have been really interesting to hear him speak. I haven’t been to any big talks like that, so it would have been nice to go,” freshman Maya Theus said.

The money will return to SU’s appeals account. York encouraged groups to apply or reapply for funding.

“My personal opinion is we have a great of list of people coming for SU speaker series, and I don’t necessarily value putting a lot more groups accountable for 15 thousand dollars. Treasury already spent as much as we typically spend in general on speakers even without Al Gore coming, and it’s in line with histories past. We spent a lot more than we typically spend,” Speaker of the Treasury Julian Nicks said.

Mashayekhi said that College Democrats are still interested in bringing a speaker to campus and looking into other, less expensive options.

Other big-name speakers who were funded include Sofia Vergara, John Legend and Amy Chua. The three cost $105,569 combined.

With additional reporting by Michael Tabb and Sadie Smeck.