Getting dizzy at Vertigo

| Senior Scene Editor

Students dance in Lopata Gallery during Vertigo, EnCouncil’s annual dance party, late Saturday night. The event drew a crowd of over 1300 students.

An exhilarating combination of lights, music and atmosphere converged in Lopata Gallery this weekend at Vertigo, a dance party sponsored by EnCouncil.

While Vertigo is a storied tradition at Washington University, this year’s iteration included several new elements, resulting in an entirely fresh experience. The illuminated dance floor, the most prominent of the additions, significantly contributed to this year’s theme: Cyberspace.

Preparations began Friday at noon and continued through the night. According to Paula Avery, the Vertigo chair, close coordination with the administration helped make the event a success.

“Without their help, Vertigo would not have worked out,” Avery said.

Even at the last minute, the organizers relied on cooperation with the administration. “For a while, we didn’t realize that the lights were on a different circuit board. We turned the lights off at basically the last minute,” Avery said.

Their labors were worth the difficulties, however. “It’s really hard not to have fun while preparing to throw a giant rave,” Avery said.

According to Avery, 1,329 students packed into the crowd to dance the night away. The dance floor’s animations involved millions of colors and thousands of patterns, though the sheer number of people limited its visibility. Some participants were given glow stick necklaces that further illuminated Lopata.

“With techno blaring and lights flashing everywhere, it was a real adrenaline rush,” Avery said.