No charges filed in September assault case

| Director of New Media

The St. Louis County prosecutor has declined to press charges this month in the case of a Washington University student who reported being sexually assaulted last semester.

According to the Washington University Police Department, a female student reported the alleged assault to police on Nov. 10. The victim reported being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in September.

Upon coming forward, the victim wanted to press charges against her alleged attacker, but the prosecutor’s office chose not to proceed with the case.

The prosecutor’s office did not return several phone messages from Student Life asking for comment on Thursday and Friday.

According to information released by police in November, the accused perpetrator was a student at another St. Louis university. As a result of the decision of the prosecutor’s office, no criminal action will be taken against that individual.

The alleged assault took place on Sept. 29 in the victim’s room in a South 40 residence hall.

In November, University police made an arrest based on the victim’s report and conducted an investigation. The results were presented to the prosecutor’s office over winter break.

Police did not release the suspect’s name in November because charges were not formally registered. The suspect’s name is not available now because no indictment was filed.

The prosecutor’s decision removes the potential for recourse through the criminal justice system, though the victim could choose to go through the civil court system.

The reported assault comes amid continued discussion of the importance of creating an administrative position to coordinate campus services for the victims of sexual assault. Last semester, a hiring committee interviewed several candidates for the job, but the position has not yet been filled.