Hillel to welcome new leadership with new year

Michael Landy was fourth exec. director in the last five years

The St. Louis Hillel of Washington University is undergoing a major change of leadership just before the start of the High Holidays with the resignation of its executive director, Michael Landy.

Landy was hired for the position last fall. He is the fourth person to fill the position in the last five years.

The board accepted Landy’s letter of resignation on Monday evening, according to an e-mail from senior Sam Guzik, Jewish Student Union (JSU) president and student representative on Hillel’s board of directors.

The e-mail, which was sent to student leaders in the Jewish community, stated that a replacement has already been selected and will assume the position beginning mid-October.

Board members declined to comment on Landy’s resignation and the leadership change.

Hershey Novack, campus rabbi and director of Chabad on Campus, said that he had positive experiences while working with Landy.

“Michael worked hard on developing partnerships with the campus community,” Novack said. “This has been a very challenging year for all nonprofit groups, and I think he worked very hard on focusing Hillel on being the best that it can be.”

Novack, however, also said he remains open for the change.

“We’re beginning a new Jewish year, and this is a time for new beginnings, apparently,” Novack said. “I welcome the new executive director with open arms and look forward to a positive collaborative partnership with the new Hillel director for years to come.”

Members of the University community will have opportunities in the coming weeks to meet the new executive director once a schedule with that person is developed.

Sophomore Paula Sass, who worked closely with Landy as the vice president of religious programming for JSU, said she was surprised to hear about his resignation, but emphasized her excitement for working with a new executive director at Hillel.

“It was overall a positive experience by and large, but we’re looking forward to new leadership,” she said.

Sass said she believes other students involved with Hillel feel similarly about the turnover.

“People are excited to meet whoever will take the position and excited about the chance to work with someone new,” Sass said.

Hillel puts on or supports several programs aimed at the Jewish community on campus, including trips to Israel and services.

Guzik also serves as the director of new media for Student Life and was editor in chief in the 2008-2009 academic year.