Celebrating Obama, chain saw in hand

| Assignments Editor
Sometimes it’s difficult to know if a Washington University sushi chef wields a chain saw in his free time.

Luckily for students, sushi chef Naomi Hamamoto’s ice sculpting skill is now no secret—after he sculpted a life-sized bust of President Obama to commemorate Obama’s inauguration yesterday.

Hamamoto, who goes by the nickname “Hama,” was trained at an ice sculpting school more than 30 years ago in his native Japan. A five-time World Ice Carving Champion, as well as a two-time Two Man Team World Ice Carving Champion, Hama has appeared at competitive events all over the world. These include the World Ice Art Championships in Fairbanks, Alaska and the famed winter festival in Sapporo, located on the island of Hokkaidō in Hama’s native Japan. Though he used to compete every year, he has now become more selective with his participation.

“I am getting too old for it all,” he said.

The process of hand ice sculpting is extremely difficult, as the artist is working not only with a rapidly deteriorating material but also with unwieldy instruments.

Hama started the Obama sculpture with a large chunk of clear, pure ice, then sketched a design with a chisel. Using a small chainsaw, he sawed off wide chunks of ice to create an abstract outline. Hama then moved to an electric chisel, which he used to add detail. Finally, hand tools, similar to wood-carving tools, were used to create the finest elements of detail, including Obama’s facial features.

“I like to sculpt humans and animals” Hama said. “At the beginning, it can be difficult, but after 30 years, anything is easy.”

As Hama worked, students could were watching the form of the new president emerge from under a spray of ice. The sculpture took around half an hour to complete.

“I had no idea that we have someone so talented on staff,” sophomore Sabria Cornish said. “I love that political activism can be seen in all areas of campus.”

Although he was “interested to watch” Obama being sworn in, Hama is not a citizen and could not vote.

Hama has been working in the Danforth University Center since it opened and is also well known as a sushi chef at his restaurant, Sansui, in Clayton. In addition to his ice sculpting awards, Hama was also named Saint Louis Chef of the Year in 1991.

Khalilan Spaulding, a Dining Services employee who works with Hamamoto, said he was shocked to discover Hamamoto was so skilled.

“I only found out last week,” Spaulding said, “It’s so amazing—everyone has a hidden talent!”

//