Carnahan vs. Blunt: Résumé check

With the start of a new school year, new senior classes begin their job searches. Prospective employers ask for resumes to see what we have done the past four years, what we have accomplished. Showing our past experiences is critical for getting a job.

This is a question we should ask when we act as employers. Currently, two major candidates are applying for our U.S. Senate seat, Robin Carnahan and Roy Blunt. We, as voters, should look at what they have done to decide who we should hire to be our senator.

Carnahan’s campaign website gives an overview of what she currently does and what she has accomplished in the past. Carnahan has served as Missouri’s Secretary of State since 2004. In her position, she has fought fraud, protected investors, helped victims of domestic abuse and led the bipartisan National Association of Secretaries of State.

Carnahan’s level of accomplishment is one of the reasons she won reelection in 2008 with more votes than any other candidate in Missouri’s history, in spite of John McCain winning the state. Secretary of State Carnahan has a strong and appealing resume, particularly now when voters want candidates who are independent from Washington and who work with both parties.

One would think an analysis of Roy Blunt’s campaign would be helpful in learning about his past, because his website says “a campaign is a job interview with the people.” But because he knows Missouri would reject the truth, Blunt tries to bury his work in Washington.

His twitter bio starts with “Classroom teacher, Greene County Clerk, Missouri Secretary of State & University President.” All are true about his past, but none of these are his current profession. He was first elected to Congress in 1996 and has been there since. How did I find this out? I did what few probably do: I read his campaign’s “Meet Roy” section where I found out about his past 14 years in Congress around word 1,160.

Now why would Representative Blunt not clearly show what he has done for the past 14 years? He hs held some impressive posts: He was the Republican whip during most of the Bush years. He can claim responsibility for much of what got passed during the Bush administration.

For example, Blunt’s role of majority whip was to get his fellow House Republicans to vote along party lines. One of his final large bills was the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, a.k.a. the bank bailout. Blunt spent countless hours doing everything in his power to ensure this bill’s passage.

Fast forward to the next Congress when the Democrats have a larger majority and the White House on their side. Blunt resigns his leadership post on his campaign website to distance House Republicans from the unpopular leaders during the Bush years. In addition, Sen. Kit Bond announces his retirement, and Congressman Blunt starts running for his seat.

Suddenly, Blunt calls for reducing federal spending and votes against anything proposed in the last Congress. He does everything possible to get Tea Party support in hopes of winning the election, but even the Tea Party sees through his dishonesty by trying to beat him in the Republican primary. In spite of this, Blunt, with his millions of dollars from lobbyists and statewide name recognition, beats the little known state senator.

The reason Congressman Blunt buries his current post is clear: With anti-Washington feelings widespread among voters, a candidate with Washington insider credentials holding top leadership posts and taking more lobby money than any other representative would not be very popular. It makes sense for Congressman Blunt to hide his past, but for the 14-year representative to call himself a history teacher is deceptive and misrepresents history.

When citizens of Missouri look to hire their next Senator, they must act like employers asking for work experiences and accomplishments and, like employers, overlook candidates who hide their past.