Re: Happy Anniversary, Roe

Kyle Flagstad | Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I am writing with reference to the article entitled “Happy Anniversary, Roe.” And to be honest, I’m a bit shocked. I’m not terribly shocked that a pro-choice article was featured in StudLife. No, this is Wash. U. That is normal, even respectable. I’m shocked at this level of venom in an article that essentially begins with the thought “Why is everyone so worked up about this abortion thing? It’s been legal for forty years!” What? Are those forty years supposed to be such powerful justification that no one even has the right to be upset about something that they perceive to be horribly wrong? But that’s just it.

I honestly don’t think that Miss Villalon has actually bothered trying to imagine how anyone could be so backwards as to want to overturn Roe v. Wade. I will freely admit, the merits of doing so seem dubious at best, but I am nevertheless a firm proponent of reducing abortion. And given the economic and political institutions behind it, one must realize that so much more is necessary than just condoms and cucumbers. I feel that I can understand the reasons why a great many Americans want abortion to be a choice. But to dismiss the opposite view (a view held by both men and women) as flippancy or antifeminism is frankly a little bit offensive, both to my opinions of morality and my logical sensibilities. And those sorts of remarks I don’t understand.

Kyle Flagstad

Stay up to date with everything happening at Washington University and beyond.

Subscribe