This year’s student body must continue last year’s activism

| Senior Forum Editor

Editor’s Note: This story also appears in Starting Line, Student Life’s orientation guide for incoming students. 

A protest of 50 or so students at a small university in the Midwest may, at first glance, seem insignificant in comparison to the size of the nation or even in comparison to the size of the University’s own student body. But on-campus activism may play a larger role for Wash. U. students than expected, and it is vital in its ability to enact changes at the University. The previous school year sparked campus-wide activism that cannot be ignored–or abandoned. 

Throughout the 2020-2021 school year, students advocated for a variety of issues, all of which were personal to students and crucial in defining their experiences at the University. The organization WU for Abolition organized protests to challenge the presence of Washington University Police Department (WUPD) on and off Wash. U.’s campus as well as the role of WUPD in mental health crises, among other concerns. Students joined together in both protests and vigils to oppose police violence across the nation. Through initiatives, petitions and conversations, students pushed the administration to prioritize mental health and disability resources. Protests calling for the abolition of Greek Life questioned the role of Greek Life on campus and how racism, classism and other harms are intertwined with the system. The Instagram account @MeToo_WashU organized a protest to demand advocacy for survivors of sexual violence as well as the prevention of sexual violence.

While on-campus activism can work to challenge the administration with the ultimate goal of creating a better college environment for Wash. U. students, the implications of these topics often extend well beyond the Wash. U. bubble. In St. Louis itself, a city with a history of segregation exemplified by the Delmar Divide, calls for racial justice, the reconsideration of WUPD’s off-campus presence, the promotion of mutual aid programs and other conversations are vital. And despite the presence of student activism on campus, activists in the larger St. Louis area noted that they do not witness the same presence of Wash. U. students in off-campus protests. As guests in St. Louis, it is our role to not only treat the city with respect but also to support community members by listening to their concerns and showing up.

In Sept. 2020, I entered Wash. U. as a freshman who was mostly oblivious to both on-campus and off-campus activism. It wasn’t until I attended an on-campus protest that I began to question my previous ignorance. To all incoming freshmen: My wish for you all (besides hoping that you have an enriching and fun-filled first year of college, of course) is that you are not like my first-year self and that you take this opportunity now, before coming to campus, to learn about last year’s activism. Read about Wash. U. students’ past concerns and how, if any, changes have since been implemented. Learn about St. Louis’s history and what community activists are hoping to achieve in the future. 

Most importantly, keep an open mind. If you, like I did as an incoming freshman, feel unfamiliar with and even slightly hesitant about on-campus activism and the process of challenging the administration, that’s okay. As incoming first-years who are simultaneously adjusting to a vaccinated lifestyle, getting used to the title of “adult,” preparing for college-level courses and transitioning to live independently, the concept of unfamiliarity is, ironically, familiar. Lean into the newness of it.

While it is important for incoming freshmen to learn about on-campus activism, it is the role of all students to ensure that past efforts are continued into this next school year. There is proof that on-campus activism works; for example, mental health crisis response has begun shifting away from WUPD. While this does not address all of students’ concerns, it is a step in the right direction and proves that, to some extent, the administration is listening. When it comes to feeling safe around peers, accommodated in academic settings, cared for by mental health professionals and supported by fellow students and administrators, everyone shares the responsibility of providing a better experience for current and future Wash. U. studentsthat includes the incoming freshman class.