Women’s reproductive rights are at risk

Gracie Hime | Contributing Writer
Curran Neenan

The St. Louis Planned Parenthood center, that is currently the only abortion clinic in Missouri.

As my roommates and I watched the presidential debate, the passing of legendary Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett, we couldn’t help but feel an ominous fear of the future. With talk of female reproductive rights in Congress and the Supreme Court, women everywhere have shared their fear of losing access to mandatory family planning and reproductive resources. This is backtracking on progress.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg once said that the option to bear (or not bear) a child is “central to a woman’s life, to her dignity. It is a decision she must make for herself. When Government controls that decision for her, she is being treated as less than a fully adult human responsible for her own choices.” This proclamation is being completely trampled over as Amy Coney Barrett threatens to end the Roe v Wade ruling. If she is confirmed for the Supreme Court, she will have access to at least seventeen abortion-relevant bills and several others addressing the Affordable Care Act. These claims alone justify the widespread fear of losing basic human rights.

With the ever-changing political environment, here are some things you may want to consider looking into. Regardless of your sexual orientation, gender, age or where you live, it is to your benefit to educate yourself on this topic. It may not affect you directly, but it could directly affect over half of the US’s population. Consider the following actions!

• If you have had any interest in getting a form of birth control (for any reason) talk to your OB/GYN about it now, especially if it is a form of IUD. Please do your own research on this as well. Some birth control is not good for certain people!
  • Get in contact with your local Planned Parenthood. Stay updated on their status and what resources they offer.
  • Check out Plan B options. They have a shelf-life of 4 years. Planned Parenthood provides this free for people 18+!
  • Research your representatives and get in contact with them expressing your concern. They are *supposed* to be here for their people.
  • Study up and spread the word.

While this is a prominent issue in Missouri, these rights may also be at risk in other states as well. If Roe v Wade is overturned, some states have a law set in place as a reaction. These are called trigger bans. These hostile states could be able to completely ban abortions, family planning and birth control. Individual states will hold a lot of power if threatening health bills are passed or overturned.

In conclusion, vote! This is such an important part of protecting human rights. Not only does your ballot have the potential to change legislation, but it also is a note to the local, state and federal officials who represent you; it states our demand. In Missouri especially, our legislators are not representative of the greater community—this is proven by the bills that are passed and proposed. Our representatives are not Missouri, but instead trustees of their own agenda. We are the only people with the power to change this. Vote for the greater Missouri.