US-Israel relationship: A strategic American asset

Israel remains a strategic asset to America, making a strong U.S.-Israel relationship critical to American success. When determining the benefits to the United States of a diplomatic relationship with another country, one must look at the benefit the relationship has on American civilian, military and diplomatic goals, as well as the reliability of the potential ally.

Israel benefits the U.S. in all these areas and has been a stalwart ally.

The US-Israeli relationship helps make American citizens healthier, safer and better positioned for the future. Israel and the U.S. cooperate on research projects, which has led to 36 Nobel Prize winners equally funded by both countries who have invented cancer-curing drugs, made food safer and developed clean energy technology.

The relationship aids American security. As a result of Israel’s constant security needs, Israel has tremendous expertise in homeland security, from border patrol and airport security to counter-terrorism. Because of this strong relationship, American leaders travel to Israel to benefit from Israeli knowledge in these areas, bringing back what they learn to make America more secure.

American troops in combat are safer because of the U.S.-Israel relationship. Israeli-created equipment protects troops. Israel makes emergency bandages that save lives, unmanned drones that give America intelligence without risking American lives and armored plating that keeps American tanks safe. Israel helps America so much that Joe Biden said, “If Israel didn’t exist, we’d have to create it out of our own naked self-interest.”

Despite helping American civilians and troops, some say Israel is a strategic liability because it hurts American foreign policy goals such as defeating anti-American terrorists. However, American support for Israel helps solve these problems. America and Israel share invaluable intelligence critical to defeating these terrorists, and they do so because the terrorists are common enemies. Anti-Western terrorists like Al-Qaeda target both countries, Hamas and Hezbollah have launched thousands of rockets into Israel and killed hundreds of Americans, and Iran severely threatens both countries as it progresses on its illicit nuclear program. These common enemies make the U.S.-Israel relationship more necessary: one of many major jointly developed projects is the David’s Sling missile, designed to intercept ballistic missiles like Iran’s. Without this alliance, such a project would never get off the ground.

Strong American support for Israel also helps solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Israel will not take the necessary security risks for peace without the strong support of America. When Israel made peace with Egypt in 1978, they did so when America committed to Israel’s security through aid. With American support, Israel gave up thousands of square miles to a once-hostile neighbor in exchange for peace.

The most critical part of the U.S.-Israel relationship is the dependability of Israel. Democracies are more reliable allies, and as the only functioning democracy in the region, Israel has been closely allied with the United States since its creation. It makes sense for the Israeli government to have a close relationship with America: It is simply a representation of the Israeli people’s love for the U.S.

On Americans’ darkest day in recent history, Israel stood with us. When other countries in the region cheered and burned American flags after 9/11, Israelis poured out on the streets to mourn the loss of their American brethren. Jerusalem has one of the few 9/11 memorials outside America.Israelis stood with America on our darkest day and stand with America today. Israel has remained a reliable ally to America and helps its civilian, military and diplomatic goals, clearly making Israel a strategic asset.