A different kind of sophomore sweet

| Staff Columnist

Please. Don’t let the year end.

I’m not a senior, so it’s not the imminent graduation date that has me all in a tussle. In fact, the end of my year threatens something far worse than venturing out into the real world alone and broke, with a degree in something that won’t easily get me a job. It’s not because I’m not looking forward to summer. Au contraire; I have quite an attractive plan lined up for those sunny months. I’ve certainly enjoyed this semester’s academic courses and social events, but I’m also looking forward to next fall as well, so my May reluctance does not stray from a strong grasp on the scholarly afternoons and tickling weekends of Spring ‘10.

I just don’t want to move. I’m one of those elusive folk who actually lives in the new sophomore building SoFoHo, though I guarantee everyone was calling it New Wohl before the University put up signs slyly suggesting that “residents have already fondly nicknamed the dorm SoFoHo!” In any case, I’ve grown rather attached to the ole place, and I frankly just don’t want to relinquish my room key.

See, my room is special. I’m a sophomore, yes, but I don’t live in a suite. I have no common room to kick off my muddy shoes in in March to avoid dirtying my personal carpet in my single bedroom. I have no oddly stiff couch, plasma TV purchased at Best Buy or communal closet to house my awkward green luggage. I’m a sophomore and I live in a double. That means, I have a nice, unnecessarily long foyer, a big, clean bathroom, and one sprawling room that is home to my roommate and I.

Most of you have probably ventured into the new dorms (South Forty House and Umrath) in some capacity by now, but many may still doubt the Sophomore Double’s existence. After all, I live in one of only a few on the Forty (to my knowledge the other two are above and below me, respectively). However, more Sophomore Doubles (or SoPhoDo’s, if you will) are being constructed in the new Eliot B house, and for you Freshmen who will be residing in them next year, don’t fear the unknown. They are wonderful.

First, the location is flawless. Imagine the wonder of stepping out of your dorm and already being steps away from the Clocktower, Ursa’s, Bear’s Den, Bear Necessities, the Fitness Center and several benches on which you can rest your weary self during the great journey from your room. The construction can be avoided entirely when you live on “the other side”. More so, however, the room itself is a treasure. The olive walls provide a sophisticated background for the desk-and-hutch set provided to me, which stands regal and proud in front of my upholstered office chair. My workspace gives way to my bed, which (the rumors are true) holds a memory-foam mattress. All of the above are neatly and aesthetically pleasingly situated next to two lightly stained French doors, which can open out to the campus on sunny mornings. My roommate has her own set of lovely doors across from her bed. The space between our two sides is ample, providing us with room for our dressers, an armchair, and space to choreograph a small group dance if need be. The far side of the room houses a nook, which in turn houses a small fridge with additional room for further appliances.

Our SoPhoDo is indeed a gem, and I’m hesitant to move far off campus, away from such a comfortable and pleasing space. However, as the weeks of school left dwindle, I must face the hardship. At least in a house off campus, I won’t have an empty computer lab that I have to swipe into because I ran out of money in the last weeks of construction.

Selena Lane is a Sophomore in Arts and Sciences. She can be reached at [email protected].

Stay up to date with everything happening at Washington University and beyond.

Subscribe