Resolution regarding Student Union’s lack of resolve

Whereas, on February 10, Student Union Senate supported the formation of the Diversity Affairs Council (DAC) by a vote of 22-2-1;

Whereas, on February 16, Student Union Treasury voted 7-6-1 for the DAC, failing to reach the needed two-thirds majority of members present for approval;

Whereas, the Treasury approved each individual component of the legislation but not the legislation as a whole;

Whereas, this episode shows that either Senate or Treasury misunderstood the legislation it was considering;

Whereas, students deserve to be involved in and informed of significant campus initiatives; and therefore be it

Resolved, that the student body is confused by or mostly unaware of the push for a DAC; and be it further

Resolved, that Senate and Treasury need to get on the same page; and be it further

Resolved, that SU has not sufficiently and widely publicized the plan for a DAC; and be it further

Resolved, that SU needs to explain clearly the purpose and responsibilities of the DAC; and be it further

Resolved, that SU should hold an open forum regarding the DAC to allow students to learn more and to provide feedback; and be it further

Resolved, that while the DAC may be a good idea, it must be more than a superficial SU initiative; and be it further

Resolved, that SU must demonstrate what the DAC will accomplish that current student groups cannot; and be it further

Resolved, that SU must demonstrate how the DAC will improve current diversity initiatives and increase diversity within the Wash. U. community.

Editorial Board
Student Life