Say it ain’t so

Most people would say that the Democrats are taking America down a better road, but they should realize that much of the economic change occurred due to individual transformations. The DOW may be over 9000 (yes, “IT’S OVER 9000!!!”, DBZ fans), but much of the slow revival of the economy is due to people realizing that they cannot spend what they do not have. The idea of placing huge bills on credit cards seem ludicrous now, but shouldn’t that have been common sense to Americans when “getting out of debt” was just placing it on a different credit card with a higher limit? Yet many Obama-enamored people still claim that changes in economic policies brought by the Obama administration helped steer the country clear of another depression.

The national debt projected by the Obama administration will hit 20 trillion dollars, or at least hit 100 percent of national GDP. However, the administration has not offered a clear plan of how they will reduce the national debt. The “Cash for Clunkers” program merely resuscitated a terminally ill economy: It staves off the inevitable disaster unless drastic overhauls are conducted.

It has been a rough few months for President Obama, but now that the media has finally seen President Obama cannot part the seas, the American people must realize that non-social policies in place are hard to change, especially in a terrible economy where voters are hesitant to place much focus elsewhere while they try to keep their jobs and put food on the table.

As an Independent voter, I resent both the previous administration’s and the current administration’s economic policies. President Bush’s idea of a “trickle down economy” left the lower socio-economic groups only with tears trickling down their faces, and the administration increased the national debt even more by cutting taxes. And on the other end of the spectrum, President Obama’s administration predicts almost 20 trillion dollars of debt, yet Obama has busted the Treasury trying to fund several new federal programs, some of which are grants where the money will not be returned. For example, much of the scientific community celebrated when many restrictions in research, especially stem cell research, were revoked. However, due to the worsening economy, much of the federal funding has been cut to scientific research, leaving eager scientists with freedom but no money.
But these effects are on a larger scale, and can only be fixed when normal law-abiding citizens make necessary changes to the American lifestyle. Gone are days when you could purchase a $500,000 home on a $40,000 salary. The American dream was a pursuable goal in the post-World War II era, when people spent more than they had yet still could afford luxurious items. Now, people are realizing the true meaning of credit and debt and that money must be saved and spent wisely. Similarly, we must pressure our congressmen who are still from the era where everything could be placed on a bill, and that bill could be paid later. To remain one of the greatest countries in the world, we must first repay our debts (imagine being “repoed” by China) and restructure our internal budget systems so that we do not end up paying for unnecessary expenses, like a senator’s private jet for “campaigning purposes.”

Overall, we must make some changes, because our generation has to foot the massive bill. And no matter how much the current politicians tell us we’re “pre-approved,” we can’t put it on another credit card with a higher limit.