Violence is addictive

With the upcoming release of well-established games like “Fallout 3,” “Gears of War 2” and other “violent” videogame series, I started to notice that there were more studies coming out regarding children and violent videogames. It bothers me every time I hear that violent video games are bad for children. To begin with, the problem of children becoming violent stems from multiple sources. There is so much more violent content on TV that kids absorb from a younger age. As a kid, I watched “Power Rangers,” “Transformers” and “Gundam Wing,” all of which are about fighting, killing and destroying. It is just a part of what boys like to watch. The effects of the shows wore off after we matured and understood that that was just fantasy or our fantasies changed…

Something that parents do not take into consideration is that many of the violent video games mentioned earlier are rated “M” for mature, so people under the age of 17 cannot buy them. Even the “Halo” series, which is popular around the world, is rated “M”. Yes, there are loopholes and not all video game sellers check for ID, but they are a small minority. When I do play video games online, I hear the voices of kids who could be no more than 12 and wonder how they got the game. In those cases, it is most likely the parents buying the video games for their kids.

The main point is, at the end of the day, kids are playing A VIDEOGAME, and nothing else. That is the point of entertainment, to stimulate and play off a person’s imagination. It is a method of escape for people. Of course, there are a couple of imbalanced kids who have issues in general with accepting reality and then do something terrible. Everything comes to a screeching halt, studies are done, investigations are completed and somehow a violent act would have been catalyzed by an aggressive video game. Parents and politicians get riled up and want violent videogames to be wiped off the face of the earth. Meanwhile, another Rambo movie comes out, with new, even more realistic violence where people’s heads and limbs are dismembered and/or mutilated and everyone has a good time at the theater. Rambo nice and harmless, I think not.

As human beings with technology at our disposal, we love video games that allow us to slow down to bullet time, choose a body part (always the head) on an enemy and watch as the enemy’s skull explodes into a million pieces. It’s all a part of the game. If you don’t like it, go play “Dora the Explorer: Journey to the Purple Planet.”