Get ready for the season premiere of ‘Archer’

On Thursday, Jan. 27, “Archer” returns to FX for a second season. The animated comedy has so far received critical acclaim and a strong following that creator Adam Reed hopes to maintain. Best described as the bastard child of “Arrested Development” and “James Bond,” this spy spoof is sure to appeal to audiences of all backgrounds.

“Archer” centers on the members of the international spy agency ISIS and their numerous dysfunctions. The title character, Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin), is the top agent in the field, despite being hampered by his own glaring incompetence, general stupidity and constant womanizing. Malory (Jessica Walter), Sterling’s mother, is the head of ISIS and constantly pesters her son while grossly misallocating government funding to further her own misguided goals. These include obtaining romantic dates, annoying members of her country club and continuing her secret affair with the head of the KGB.

Rounding out the main cast are Archer’s fierce rival and bitter ex-girlfriend, Lana (Aisha Tyler); the straight-edge, bookworm comptroller, Cyril (Chris Parnell); an inane and flirtatious secretary, Cheryl (Judy Greer) and the overweight, lesbian human resources director, Pam (Amber Nash). Jeffrey Tambor made several guest appearances as the head of a rival spy agency and possible father to Archer.

Archer marks the first reunion of Walter, Greer and Tambor in a show since “Arrested Development.” Their placement in similar roles, along with the show’s dedication to revisiting old jokes and playing off of family drama, guarantees that fans of “Arrested Development” will love “Archer.”

Inspirations for many of the show’s aspects originate from creator Adam Reed’s past features that appeared during Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. The visual style and narrative structure are taken straight from “Frisky Dingo,” while several characters seem to have been lifted from “Sealab 2021.” This cruder style of violent and sexual comedy meshes with the clever wordplay and situational humor to create a unique comedy experience that audiences are sure to relish.

Catch Archer on Thursdays at 11 p.m. on FX.