Now Hear This!: Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Lady Antebellum

Who: Lady Antebellum, Kacey Musgraves, Kip Moore

Where: Chaifetz Arena

When: Thursday, Feb. 13 @ 7 p.m.

Price: $39.85-$94.50

Both the most hardcore of country fans and those only interested in crossover artists alike will flock to Chaifetz Arena this Thursday, Feb. 13 for Lady Antebellum’s “Take Me Downtown” tour. Featuring two openers successful in their own right, it’s an absolutely must-see country show.

The first of these openers is Kip Moore, a former Abercrombie & Fitch employee whose first success was “Somethin’ ’Bout a Truck,” which went platinum in the U.S. His album was the best debut for a male country star in the past two years, a surprising fact when you consider that Hunter Hayes and Tyler Farr both debuted recently as well. Despite his doglike name, Moore should put on a good show featuring his other successful songs like “Beer Money” and “Young Love.”

The second opener is one of country’s brightest young stars, Kacey Musgraves. She has only one major-label album to her name, “Same Trailer Different Park,” but she has won critical accolades and Grammys for it. Musgraves is a firecracker of a performer whose modern sensibilities applied to a classic country sound are refreshing from the typical country pop that most female stars put out. She’s achieved radio success with songs like “Merry Go ’Round,” a lament for the trap that a small town can be, and “Blowin’ Smoke,” a romp about the gossip that happens during a waitress’ smoke break. Her latest popular song is “Follow Your Arrow,” an anthem about living your life to the fullest and not giving a rip if someone else doesn’t approve of who you love or what you do. It won’t be long before she’s selling out arena tours of her own, so catch her here and you’ll be able to say you saw Musgraves before she was “cool.”

With two openers of such high quality, the headliners have to be big as well, and Lady Antebellum is one of country’s most successful groups in history. The trio is comprised of vocalist Hillary Scott, vocalist Charles Kelley and all-around instrumentalist Dave Haywood. Much like Musgraves, Lady Antebellum has enjoyed its own share of success at the Grammy Awards, taking home Song and Record of the Year for its ubiquitous single “Need You Now.” This tour is in support of its latest record, “Golden,” and named after its latest smash single “Downtown.” Unlike its more angst-filled radio hits “Need You Now” and “Just a Kiss,” “Downtown” is an upbeat, flirtatious and playful jam about going out. While it may not have reached the same heights as previous hits, it shows off a side of Lady Antebellum that casual fans may not be accustomed to. The band promises to put on a show full of emotional highs and lows, and it somehow hasn’t yet sold out, so be sure to find yourself at Chaifetz Arena for on