Now Hear This!: Metric, Hellogoodbye and Paramore

and | Senior Cadenza Editors

Jay L. Clendenin | MCT

Paramore arrives at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif. on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010.

There are two openers for Paramore, both of which would be draws on their own. Metric is a Canadian indie-rock band famous for their song “Black Sheep,” which was featured in the film version of “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.” They have also won their fair share of Juno Awards, which are basically Canadian Grammys. Frontwoman Emily Haines is a livewire on stage, and the songs are arena-worthy—try not to shout along to “Help I’m Alive” or “Youth Without Youth.” Meanwhile, you might remember Hellogoodbye from your Myspace and middle school days. Led by singer Forrest Kline, Hellogoodbye has mastered their brand of synthpop and twee ukulele songs; they’re like Owl City, minus the annoying part. The band is touring in support of their new album “(Everything Is) Debatable,” which comes out Oct. 29 but is currently streaming online. Hopefully they play some of their old hits as well, especially the saccharine love song “Here (In Your Arms),” with its heart-swelling synthesizers and shouted chorus.

You may remember Paramore as the band behind some of the defining songs of your pre-teen years like “Emergency” and “Misery Business,” but you may be surprised to hear that the band continued to make music after your awkward puberty years, and it’s surprisingly good. After the smashing success of the band’s 2007 album “RIOT!” Paramore went through its own growing pains. 2009’s “Brand New Eyes” reflected the inner struggles between lead singer Hayley Williams and brothers Josh and Zac Farro, and soon after that album’s release the brothers left the band, prompting a period of comparative silence on the music scene.

Dan Cox

Hellogoodbye performs in Pontiac, Mich., on Feb. 16, 2011. Hellogoodbye will be one of the opening acts for Paramore at Wednesday night’s show at the Fabulous Fox.

The three remaining members—Williams, bassist Jeremy David and guitarist Taylor York—vowed to keep the band together and began crafting an altogether new sound that advanced the band beyond cookie-cutter pop punk. The new Paramore didn’t come out with a full-length release until this year, and the aptly self-titled album sought to redefine the sound and style of the band. “Paramore” received significant critical acclaim and debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts, the band’s first album to do so. With a dizzying mix of genres and influences, all fueled by Williams’s electric vocals, many called the release Paramore’s best (a smack in the face for the Farro brothers.) Singles like “Now” and “Still Into You” reflect the album’s diversity of sound and rollicking energy. “Paramore” was practically made to be performed live. The band’s exciting new tracks will mix well with the nostalgic classics that we all know and love on Wednesday night. As Williams is also well-known for her live energy and on-stage charisma, regardless of whether you know every song on the set list, you’ll be on your feet and dancing the whole time. You should probably go for the mere experience of screaming along to a bunch of your favorite middle-school songs with a riled-up audience.

The show on Wednesday evening is the rare show in which all three bands are worth seeing, so be sure to arrive at the Fox right at 7:30 p.m.