Twenty One Pilots harmonize on All Hallows’ Eve

Amidst the darkness of Chaifetz Arena on this past Saturday’s misty Hallows’ Eve, many excited Twenty One Pilots (stylized “twenty one pilots”) fans sat awaiting a frighteningly fantastic musical experience. At this performance, twenty one pilots brought their best to the stage on a holiday that seems quite fitting for their edgy rock vibe and dark lyricism, leaving many fans chilled to the bone.

Just like any good horror film, the evening called for great anticipation leading up to its long-awaited climax. Opening band Finish Ticket, a light alternative rock band that just released an EP called “When Night Becomes Day” this past September, kicked off the festivities on a soft note. Short but sweet, the show transitioned quickly into the second opener, Echosmith, who seemed to exceed much of the crowd’s expectations. Despite the atmosphere’s original dullness, as evidenced by the quiet and motionless pit, the mood progressively intensified, particularly as the band broke the constancy of its folky sound for a brief acoustic rendition of “Bright.” Though the band’s tempo starkly contrasted with the typical twenty one pilots vibe, the arena full of spookily clad members of the “Skeleton Clique,” the band’s most dedicated fans, found a true appreciation for Echosmith as the final preparation for the moment we had all been waiting for.

The dynamic duo of Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun did not hesitate with their entrance, throwing their audience right into the excitement of the night with the song “Heavydirtysoul.” Not one word was spoken between the two band members until the fourth song. Instead, they continued to play a perfect combination of fan favorites old and new, including “Stressed Out” from 2015 album, “Blurryface,” and “Migraine” from their 2013 album, “Vessel.”

Shortly into the powerful set, the duo threw its fans for a loop as Joseph, the lead singer, pulled out his ukulele and broke into a cover of Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love.” The remix was exactly what the crowd needed to cool down after several songs of intensely amped sound, after which it was ready to cycle again into twenty one pilots’ signature exhilaration once more. From a medley of many fan favorites, to a crowd-surfing drum solo, to Joseph’s final climactic run into the audience, the night certainly included the thrill one expects on the spookiest holiday of the year. The main set came to a close with poetic “Car Radio,” only to be followed by a two-song encore of the almost despairingly dark “Goner” and long-loved “Trees.”

Despite not necessarily being in the typical costume party environment loved and experienced by most on Halloween, concert attendees did not hold back on this annual opportunity to dress up. Throughout the crowd, many “blurryfaces” could be spotted appreciating the symbol of the band’s most recent album release. The band similarly took great advantage of the holiday by aligning its dark music with brief clips of horror films and a constant fog that emanated across the stage and into the crowd, only to subside when reaching the heat of an enthusiastic pit.

While the night was meant to be filled with fright (and it partly was, thanks to the intense lyrics and occasional scream-o quality of the band’s music), Joseph and Dun were neither willing nor able to keep their heart-warming love and appreciation from showing through by the end of the night. While Dun remained quietly behind the drums, Joseph told the crowd that he could not be up on the stage without his best friend. Though their lyrics may be dark and their tattoo-covered bodies slightly intimidating, Dun and Joseph’s overflowing affection contrasts this personal and auditory intensity to showcase the realness of their personalities, lyrics and overall musical message.

As the night ended, the moon hid behind thin, wispy clouds, as though secretly watching fans safely head off to their next destination. No matter how each audience member’s night ended, however, twenty one pilots certainly “polarize[d]” this Halloween, making it markedly memorable in comparison to Halloweens past.