WUStock Preview: Music, food and fun, oh my!

Travis McCoy, 28, the lead singer/songwriter of Gym Class Heroes, works on a new track.Marice Cohn Band | Miami Herald | MCT

Travis McCoy, 28, the lead singer/songwriter of Gym Class Heroes, works on a new track.

The Congress of the South 40 is giving residents a reason to actually get out of their beds this Saturday afternoon, as WUStock brings Gym Class Heroes straight to our very own Swamp. Not only are the chart toppers coming to the heart of the South 40, but CS40 is making it an event; bringing more music, more activities and tons of food.

Those perhaps not as inclined to the pop/rap and rhythm and blues tunes of Gym Class Heroes will be able to enjoy a number of student performers in the time leading up to the headline act. Following a competition in which student bands sent in audio samples to the Swamp Committee of , three students bands and one DJ were selected to play half hour sets as opening acts for Gym Class Heroes. They will be:

Broom Closet Beer Club:
This band, formed from a group of four freshman floormates in 2010, now consists of Annelies DeVos on guitar/vocals, Sean Bomher on lead guitar, DJ Gross on bass, Kurt Kahle on sax/vocals and Sarah Buchardt on the keyboard/vocals. They will be a perfect act for a spring afternoon, with pared-down guitars and soothing vocals to ease concert-goers into the festivities. They will play at 1 p.m.
[audio:http://www.studlife.com/files/2012/04/Let-Me-In-1.mp3|titles=Let Me In 1]
[audio:http://www.studlife.com/files/2012/04/Volcano.mp3|titles=Volcano]

Rhyme n Reason:
This group, also created by freshmen in 2010, includes emcees Jason “J.O.” Onugha, Anthony “Gatzby” Maltbia, Chizom “Ka’Boo” Okebugwu, as well as DJ-DG David Gilmore. So named for their desire to mix their memorable rhymes with meaningful lyrics, this act already has WUStock experience after opening for Matt and Kim last year. With a mixtape full of impressively produced tracks, catchy choruses and smooth flows, Rhyme n Reason should fit right in with the Gym Class Heroes crowd. Expect them onstage at 1:45 p.m.
[audio:http://www.studlife.com/files/2012/04/Hip-Hop-Headlock-Final.mp3|titles=Hip Hop Headlock Final]

Petra and the Priorities:
Going on stage at 2:30 p.m., this band only came together two months ago through the Wash. U. Jazz Program. The act comprises main vocalist Petra Greenidge, Drew Cooper on guitar, Jeff Stephens on keys, Chris Hiller on bass, Tim Greer on sax and Dylan French playing drums. Rounding out the wide variety of musical acts performing on Saturday, the breezy jazz act accompanied with stunning vocals proves there will be something for everyone at WUStock.

DJ PRKR:
Following the student band performances, DJ Michael Parker will be playing his set at 3 p.m. for the crowd on the Swamp. Parker should get people hyped up and ready to move for Gym Class Heroes’ set, scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m.

There will also be a ton of other (free!) things to do on the Swamp this Saturday, such as shutter shade spin art painting. The Seoul Taco food truck will be handing out its delicious Korean BBQ tacos, which can be washed down with a cupcake from the Sarah’s Cake Shop truck. Students can also soak their friends, professors and RAs in a dunk tank or ride a mechanical bull. There will be a suggested donation (both cash and campus card will be accepted) for both of these activities and the proceeds will benefit Kids’ Place, an after-school education and enrichment program.

Free food, an afternoon in the sun, good music and all of it literally right on our doorstep—what more could a discerning college student want? The festivities don’t even start until noon with the dunk tank and mechanical bull, so you’ll have plenty of time to sleep off your Friday night.

All activities and performances are open to Wash. U. students only. The event will be alcohol-free.