‘The Lost Children’ | Disturbed

For fans of
Sevendust, Metallica, Godsmack
Singles to download
“Old Friend,” “Parasite,” “3”

Not one to leave its old music alone, Chicago heavy metal band Disturbed just released “The Lost Children” while on hiatus. The album, featuring B-sides and covers, fits into Disturbed’s recognizable style: riffs are aggressive and groovy, and the vocalist employs a percussive singing style that goes along with the beat. This makes the band’s music very arena-friendly and good for working out to as well. The album, however, is nothing more than what it is: a collection of B-sides, or songs that are not remarkable enough to be included on Disturbed’s other albums. This means that virtually none of the songs stand out much from the crowd.

Listening to this album, you will get a good idea of why these songs were rejected. The album opener, “Hell,” is a typical Disturbed song. It is aggressive, macho and groovy, with a soaring melodic chorus, but it’s the same formula that worked for many Disturbed hits like “Ten Thousand Fists” and “Indestructible.” “Old Friend” is a song that is pleasant to listen to, with an empowering message and a good chorus. Overall, though, it is quite difficult to find inspiring and outstanding songs on this album, because if they were that good, they would’ve been on the regular albums. If you are a fan and can’t get enough of Disturbed, this is your album. If not, look away.