‘Mylo Xyloto’ | Coldplay

| Cadenza reporter

For fans of
U2, other Coldplay albums
Singles to download
“Hurts Like Heaven,” “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart,” “Charlie Brown”

After being absent from the charts since the 2008 release of “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends,” Coldplay has certainly come back with a bang. Frontman Chris Martin described “Mylo Xyloto” as a concept album, referring to it as “a love story in a big, scary city.” Even if you don’t understand what it all means, however, there’s no denying that it works.

The first full-length track, “Hurts Like Heaven,” is by far the most dance-worthy Coldplay song to date. While fans of their first album may complain that many of the new songs are too bubblegum for their taste, the general response from critics and listeners so far has been overwhelmingly positive. Another song, “U.F.O,” shows off Martin’s vocals in a simple acoustic track, the likes of which are rare in popular music today.

To get the full effect, listen to the album straight through, from the 43-second intro track all the way to the infectiously catchy “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart.” Songs blend together in a good way, going through seamless but still exciting transitions that make it hard to tell where one track ends and the next begins. This is where the idea of the concept album really comes into play. Every song is full of the kind of colorful, youthful energy and revolutionary spirit that the band is aiming for.