Merry Christmas II You | Mariah Carey

After her successful release of the “Merry Christmas” album in 1994, Mariah Carey has donned the Santa suit again with her most recent album. The disc features four original songs, an “extra-festive” re-release of “All I Want for Christmas is You,” and eight covers of Christmas classics.

Naturally, the album contains several heartwarming tracks. In the subdued yuletide style, the quality of Carey’s vocals shines through. The original “When Christmas Comes” and classic “Charlie Brown Christmas” would be perfect for any swanky cocktail party.

The track “O Come All Ye Faithful/Hallelujah Chorus” features a duet between Carey and her mother, Patricia Carey, a classical opera singer. Unfortunately, their conflicting styles fail to mesh.

The album is not without its faults. The original “Oh Santa!” is a convoluted mess of traditional bells, repetitive lyrics and unwelcome hip-hop elements. The transformation of “Auld Lang Syne” into a boppy dance beat fails miserably as well.

In the end, it is difficult to recommend this album. Christmas songs have been re-released thousands of times, and despite her beautiful voice, Carey does not tread onto any new ground. If you have an opening in your Christmas party playlist, a single or two downloaded from iTunes should suffice.

Tracks to download: ‘When Christmas Comes,’ ‘Charlie Brown Christmas’