Meet me at the midnight movies

| Senior Cadenza Editor

When the clock strikes midnight for “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” the shadow cast comes out and the fun begins. Originally a critically panned film about a mad scientist and alien cross-dresser, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” became a cult classic when audiences started dressing up as the characters, shouting out the lines and throwing toilet paper around the movie theater.

Nowadays, the flick is the longest-running midnight movie of all time, and the Tivoli screens the film four times every October leading up to Halloween. Those screenings will be Oct. 20, 21, 27 and 28 this year, but the Tivoli is also taking advantage of the midnight movie medium with its Reel Late series every weekend until Rocky Horror.

As part of Tivoli’s Reel Late at the Tivoli series, the theater is showing various movies through October at midnight.Destiny Jackson | Student Life

As part of Tivoli’s Reel Late at the Tivoli series, the theater is showing various movies through October at midnight.

Screening cult classics and late ’90s and early 2000s nostalgia films, the Reel Late series aims to bring in audiences that might not normally be attracted to the Tivoli’s offerings. “We try to keep it fresh, we try to keep our mind open to new ideas,” Tom Anson, Tivoli theater manager said.

More than anything, the theater tries to cater to the Wash. U. crowd given the proximity of the University. Hayao Miyazaki films “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Spirited Away” have already been shown as part of the series this summer, with “Princess Mononoke” coming up on Sept. 8 and 9. “For us it’s very important to catch Wash. U. in session because you guys are so close, and it just makes sense to come over after studying or whatever,” Anson said.

With all of the films shown at midnight on Friday and Saturday nights, there’s really no excuse not to go see one. (“Princess Mononoke” is the lone exception with a third English-dubbed screening Saturday morning at 11:30.) Tickets are $8 for each midnight screening and $10 for the Rocky Horror screenings.

As for Anson, he’s excited about the “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me” screening the first weekend of September. “I don’t think we’ve ever done it,” Anson said. “I’m interested to see what kind of crowd we get. I think because of the revival, we’ll see a lot more interest in it.”

And then there’s always the Rocky Horror Picture Show come Halloween. Anson loves for newcomers to attend and be indoctrinated into the tradition. His main selling point? “It’s fun to throw toilet paper around a movie theater.”