A$AP Ferg for the uninitiated: more than ‘Plain Jane’

| Senior Cadenza Editor

On Oct. 5, Social Programming Board—with the help of Chancellor Martin—announced the Fall 2019 WILD artist, A$AP Ferg. If you’re like me, when you heard the name “A$AP Ferg,” you immediately thought of his 2017 hit song “Plain Jane” and that’s it. Consequently, if you and I were of the same opinion when this was announced, you probably asked yourself the question: Will WILD just be A$AP Ferg performing “Plain Jane” until the University decides we’ve had enough?

Now, hardcore A$AP Ferg fans will undoubtedly refute these claims with an extensive list of Mr. Ferg’s inumerable bops and jams. So, to avoid this inevitable confrontation of musicality, I’ve listened to a number of A$AP Ferg songs and have decided upon my favorites so that if you too are not the biggest A$AP Ferg fan but willing to learn, you can prepare yourself for Oct. 25, when Brookings Quad is transformed into Washington University’s private concert venue.

A$AP Ferg just released a new EP this year, titled “Floor Seats,” so it’s reasonable to assume that a lot of his set will come from this EP, save for a few of the classics like “Plain Jane” (I just really like “Plain Jane”). Released Aug. 16, “Floor Seats” peaked at number 50 on the U.S. Billboard 100, but in my opinion, it should have been higher. “WAM” is my favorite song off the EP; it has subtle background techno effects and features MadeinTYO, who is phenomenal. Other great songs off the EP include “Jet Lag” and the titular “Floor Seats.”

On his 2017 mixtape “Still Thriving” (the one that brought us the bop of the century, “Plain Jane”), my favorite song is, you guessed it, “Plain Jane.” I would be remiss if I didn’t mention it. You could play this song at any party and I don’t think anyone would complain, it’s just that good. Also worth listening to on this album are “Aww Yeah” featuring Lil Yachty, “One Night Savage” which also features MadeinTYO and “Nasty (Who Dat)” featuring Migos.

A$AP Ferg’s second studio album, “Always Strive and Prosper,” has a different vibe than the other projects I’ve mentioned. The songs have more of a late 90s/early 2000s rap vibe that I thoroughly enjoy. The song “Psycho” features a tenor saxophone, so obviously I’m sold, but the lyrics also tell a great story and I’m here for it. I’m also a fan of “Rebirth” and “Grandma.”

Finally, it’s time to discuss his very first studio album, released in 2013, “Trap Lord.” The one song on this album that I will never ever get tired of is “Fergivicious.” No, this is not Fergie’s “Fergalicious”, but it’s up there with it—it’s a little darker and grittier but it’s still just as good. Make sure you also check out “Murda Something” featuring Waka Flocka Flame and “Cocaine Castle.”