Album Review: “Reflection” by Fifth Harmony

| Senior Cadenza Editor

Songs to Download:

‘Sledgehammer’
‘Bo$$’
‘Going Nowhere’

As a rhythm-and-blues-lite-turned-pop girl group, Fifth Harmony makes no bones about its manufactured qualities—the band was brought together by Simon Cowell on “The X Factor” two years ago, when the five vocalists failed to make it through on the strengths of their own solo acts. Remarkably similar to the origin story of British boy band sensation One Direction, Cowell’s genius proved serendipitous once again. Fifth Harmony may have finished third on its season of “The X Factor,” but that didn’t stop the group from rocketing into success on the back of its girl-power fueled tracks and idiosyncratic mix of performers—Ally, Camila, Normani, Dinah and Lauren—that, you guessed it, ended up working in perfect harmony.

ReflectionFifthHarmony

But take an initial listen to Fifth Harmony’s latest album, “Reflection,” and you might think that you’re listening to a compilation rather than a cohesive release. While there are some standout songs, like the first two singles, everything on “Reflection” sounds like it should be by another artist. The first half of the album is the most likely to fall victim to this, as songs are filled with vaguely paraphrased samples, such as the Arabian-inspired backtrack of song “Worth It,” which sounds like it took a couple trips through a Jason Derulo album before landing in this one, the awkward saxophone inserted into the chorus of first song “Top Down” or the strangely heavy and muted dance-break beat in “This is How We Roll,” which ends up being completely out of sync with the vocally layered, harmonized and supposedly uplifting chorus. “Everlasting Love” sounds exactly like it should be coming out of an early Mariah Carey album. Fittingly, the album’s next track is called “Like Mariah,” and samples one of the iconic vocal riffs from Carey’s track “Always Be My Baby.”

And if the melodies aren’t contrived, the lyrics often are. Take one of the opening lines from “Top Down:” “From a small town cruisin’ through the big city / Where the fellas are cute and the girls are pretty.” The line is only part of the song’s verses stiltedly rapped by one of the girls, and the end result is an introductory song that’s more uncomfortable than catchy.

In the end, the biggest problem with “Reflection” is just how obvious it is: every song is engineered and produced precisely to climb charts, and not to actually craft a unique Fifth Harmony sound. The best songs on the album are the ones that nail their pop sensibilities along with their ability for unabashed girl power and irresistible harmonies. The second single, “Sledgehammer,” is an infectious bubblegum-pop hit with bouncy verses and a tightly produced drum-beat hook that’s impossible to get out of your head. “Going Nowhere,” an anthem about keeping wandering boys in line, has echoes of the glory days of “Survivor”-era Destiny’s Child. Instead of being overbearing, the homage works.

The band’s strongest suit is its constant message of female friendship, love and empowerment. Even if there are times this message strays into the cliche, it’s hard to fault the girls for it. “Reflection,” the title track, begins with a string of compliments before the expectation-twisting chorus states, “Boy, I ain’t talkin’ about you / I’m talking to my own reflection.” It’s the kind of tongue-in-cheek wordplay that will make you roll your eyes but laugh a little a well. After all, this female love is nothing to put down, following in the footsteps of artists like Katy Perry and Beyonce who are creating powerful messages for their young female listeners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVu9MwZD9PE

“Reflection” comes together much like the actual group did: songs haphazardly put in the same place as others hoped that they somehow work together. And sometimes, on the band’s catchy and unapologetically empowering tracks, they do. But mostly, the album ends up being confusing—each track falls back on very different influences and musical styles, ultimately sounding out of sync with its partners. As a group, the girls of Fifth Harmony may be able to hit all the right notes and vocal synchronizations, but their latest album does not.