In defense of: Hating #WHATSHOULDWECALLWASHU

Surely you’ve seen them. Someone posts a link from the popular website #WHATSHOULDWECALLME on someone else’s Facebook wall. It’s a seemingly universal action with a clever GIF, or animated photo, attached to it. For example, “WHEN YOURE THE ONLY ONE OF YOUR ROOMMATES WHOS DRUNK” and a GIF of Jemaine from “Flight of the Conchords” dancing. This led to a website exclusively for seemingly universal Wash. U. actions: #WHATSHOULDWECALLWASHU.

This is really getting out of hand. HOW DO I PUT THIS GENTLY, #WHATSHOULDWECALLME, #WHATSHOULDWECALLMEMAYBE. THEY’RE BECOMING THE NEW MEME AND MAKING ME WRITE IN ALL CAPS, AND IT MAKES ME REALLY UPSET.

I joined the Tumblr community my senior year of high school, about two years ago. What showed up on my dash during those golden days were pretty pictures, inspirational and relatable quotes for my teenage angst, and personal ramblings from a select few friends who didn’t have any other outlet. I found out about—and was able to help—friends with major depression and anxiety disorders. Tumblr was a place where the weird kids had an outlet and where everyone was collaborative and supportive in creative works and personal struggles. Now? Only trolls. Trolls everywhere. The Tumblr that I know and love is gone.

The issues I have specifically with #WHATSHOULDWECALLWASHU are that a) some of them apply only to a very specific set of Wash. U. students and b) some of them are a bit racist (A Mexican shower? Really?). While I’m sure these weren’t meant to be malicious, the posters need to be aware that Wash. U. is a diverse community.

“But, Kara,” everyone says, “If you don’t want to see these posts, don’t follow them.”

But they’re everywhere. Some Tumblrs have great posts but will occasionally reblog something really asinine (myself sometimes included). Outside of this realm, however, you still have Twitter and Facebook. You can’t escape! The once-safe haven of Tumblr has been infiltrated by simpletons. And Facebook is completely dominated by the reposting of links.

Given, I’m not completely against #WHATSHOULDWECALLWASHU. Some of them are true and pretty funny. Extra meal points? Of course you go to Ibby’s. The collection of GIFs posted is pretty fantastic, and I’m waiting for the Coldplay squirrel to make an appearance. But the students need to tone it down. Maybe only post one a day, rather than twenty. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.