Q&A with comics Glover and Pierson

Student Life’s Steph Spera caught up with Glover and Pierson after the show to discuss their careers, television and BroRape.

Student Life: Marry, boff, kill: Allison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, or Tina Fey.

Donald Glover: Whhhhattttttt. That’s so hard and so delicate….There’s no way out of this. There’s no way out of this.

SL: If it makes you feel better, our readership is pretty low.

DC Pierson: Yeah, Google isn’t a thing.

DG: Marry, boff, kill….

[Actual three-minute-long internal struggle]

I’d marry Gillian. Gillian. No, I’d have to marry Tina because I’d know she’s a good mom. I already know she’s a good mom. I’ve seen it. You know what, I’m going to go with Gillian, I’d have to fuck Gillian.

SL: You’d kill Allison Brie.

DG: I’d have to kill Allison Brie. But only because she would kill me after she found out about this.

SL: How is it like working on “Community”? Is it awesome?

DG: Can I say something, I know I’ve been saying that a lot, that I love it there. But I f—— hate it. No, it’s the best job ever.

SL: What’s your favorite episode?

DG: I love the zombie episode, that was fun for me to do. There’s a flashback episode that’s coming up, that was really fun. The documentary episode. And I like the darker ones, like “Mixology 101.”

SL: Growing up with your mom as a foster parent plays a huge role in your stand-up, is there anything that you won’t put in your routine?

DG: No. There are other stories that I’ll probably tell in other stand-up. My parents just saw my stuff for the first time. I’m not worried about “Is this too much.” It’s just, “You know what, it happened, we’ll talk about it.”

SL: Do you prefer the music, or the stand up, or the acting?

DG: I just have a good time doing it all. I would never leave comedy and do just music. Or the other way. I really don’t think I could. There are all different ways to express yourself.

[Pointing to DC]

He’s a writer, he’s an actor. He makes a bunch of s—.

SL: I remember watching “BroRape” when I was a senior in high school. Is it crazy going from that to where you are now?

DG: I never look at it that way. I think a lot of people look at the Internet, as like a place, like, “yeah you’re on the internet.” But we always saw the Internet as a means to do other things.

SL: As a senior who’s about to graduate, how do you get a job like you did, right out of college?

DG: Intern places where you really want to work. That’s number one. Seriously. Because people start to notice. I got the job on “30 Rock” because [they] knew I wrote, and I was around all the time. I was about to graduate and I was freaking out. I was about to go write for a video game company. And that was writing: that would have been cool too. But I got that call and it changed my life. I was very lucky. But that was because I was UCB [Upright Citizen’s Brigade) all the time. If you want a head start, be wherever that job is all the time, work really hard—people will notice it. And do it for free, because when you start to get paid for it, it will be like, “Holy S—!”

SL: Can you sing the “Reading Rainbow” theme song?

DG: Well yes. Write down yes.

DCP: This is going to look really good in print. If you just write the words of the “Reading Rainbow theme song” and print “Then Donald sang.”

Check out DC Pierson’s blog at dcpierson.com.