In defense of Megan Fox

Lionel Hann | MCT

Lionel Hann | MCT

Yes, I’m defending Megan Fox, the 23-year-old sex symbol/actress who has been impossible to avoid these past few months. Fox’s currently supernova-ing celebrity might make you think that she doesn’t need any sort of defending, but I disagree. As long as people like Princeton Hynes are deriding her as a “skank” in our very own college newspaper, I will be there to come to the defense of the woman I have lost my heart to for all eternity.

One of the first complaints people make about Fox is that she hasn’t proven herself as an actress. Well, no one, including Fox, denies her fame has nothing to do with her acting. She is upfront about the fact that the Transformers films are not about the “acting experience,” and she has told GQ, “Really, my only job is to look attractive.” Fox is famous because she was lucky enough to be cast in “Transformers,” and Hollywood, the entertainment media and the public immediately anointed her America’s newest sex symbol. Our culture has a long tradition of turning women into sex symbols regardless of talent, and to hold this tradition against Fox is simply irrational.

Furthermore, the various pejorative insults launched against Fox—that she’s trashy and a “skank”—are completely unwarranted. Unlike the trainwreck girls who dominated the tabloids for most of the decade, Fox keeps out of trouble, and is never seen wasted and coked out like Lindsay, Britney or Paris were in their prime.  By all accounts, in her private life Fox is responsible and behaves respectably (especially compared to some of her peers).

Fox may be less promiscuous and less prone to binge-drinking than a large percentage of Wash. U. students, but Hynes still has a problem with what Fox chooses to wear on the red carpet. Fox’s outfits are consistently over the top, flagrantly acknowledging the sex appeal responsible for her career in the first place. To Hynes, this is unacceptable, but in my opinion it’s a smart move. It demonstrates that Fox is aware of her celebrity persona and that she knows how to manipulate it. This is America, and Hollywood is a business—why blame Fox for playing the right publicity cards?

Fox’s red-carpet aesthetic is also an honest reflection of the culture that put her in the spotlight. It’s an unapologetic, in-your-face display of a truth most people would prefer to ignore: Our culture still loves to objectify its women. Fox has no intention of pretending that isn’t the case, and, considering the source of her fame, it’s ridiculous to expect her to. Fox is honest, even in her dress, and that’s a trait that’s getting harder and harder to find in the media these days. Personally, I find it refreshing. Fox doesn’t sell the Disney fairy tales Hynes wants her to, but that’s not her job, and the expectation for her to do so is completely outmoded.

But enough about Fox’s appearance. In addition to having perfect bone structure, Fox is one of the funniest starlets to grace magazine covers in a long time. Fox has a biting, sarcastic sense of humor, and she doesn’t censor herself in interviews. When asked by an Entertainment Weekly reporter what she thought could be the worst-case scenario for her career five years in the future, she responded, “Umm…that I’d be on ‘The Hills?’” She dryly describes her first movie, “Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen,” as “one of the cinematic greats.” She claims to be Alan Alda’s doppelganger. Her take on “High School Musical” is surreal: She told “Esquire,” “Let me tell you what it’s really about. ‘High School Musical’ is about this group of boys who are all being molested by the basketball coach, who is Zac Efron’s dad. It’s about them struggling to cope with this molestation. And they have these little girlfriends, who are their beards. Oh, and somehow there’s music involved.” Oh, and she adds, “You have to get stoned and watch it.” What’s not to love?