“Arrested Development” actor to speak on campus about mental health

Washington University students will be making a huge mistake if they are not in LabSci 300 this evening, March 31. Active Minds, Wash. U.’s student mental health organizaton, is bringing Jeffrey Tambor, of “Arrested Development” and “The Good Wife” to give a lecture on his own family’s mental health issues. The presentation will begin at 7:00 p.m., so be sure to get there early to snag a seat.

I spoke with senior Dalton Guthrie, President of Internal Affairs, about the upcoming presentation.

On why Jeffrey Tambor is coming to campus:
“Active Minds at Wash U originally got funding from the Speaker Series to bring Academy Award-winning actor Joe Pantoliano (The Sopranos, The Matrix, Memento), but unfortunately he had to cancel last minute because of the filming of a TV show. Jeffrey Tambor is represented by the same agency and he was graciously willing to make himself available last-minute and we were able to find an agreeable arrangement.”

On the importance of the issues Active Minds is discussing:
“Mental Illness is one of the most prevalent and under-addressed issues on college campuses. One quarter of students have a diagnosable mental illness, but 40% of them don’t ever seek help. Concern of stigma is the number one reason students do not seek help.”

On what they hope to accomplish:

Active Minds at Wash U hopes that by bringing Jeffrey Tambor to campus we can spread awareness and understanding about mental health issues. Creating an open discussion about mental health helps reduce stigma and will hopefully encourage Wash U students to seek the help they need. We hope that the audience will be entertained and inspired by Jeffrey’s presentation, as well as educated about what it is like to live with a mental health condition.

On what students should expect:
“Tambor’s presentations are models after himself: larger than life. He brings audiences across the country a new kind of lecture, one they have never seen before. They are interactive, humorous, real, and most importantly, relatable. He has the ability unlike any other speaker to share anecdotes from his decades in front of the camera, inspire businesses to find creative solutions and strategies, delve into his family’s struggle with mental health issues, reflect on his role as a father of four young children, and offer wisdom learned from his Jewish upbringing.”