WU: In Focus

WU: In Focus

A closer look at the issues that matter. 

A Letter from the Editors

We are so thankful to our staff for their efforts and investment in this issue, and to you, our readership, for continuing to hold us accountable day in and day out.

Band of Brothers: Black men talk their experiences in Wash. U.’s white fraternities

To some within the black community, joining a white fraternity can be considered taboo.

The ways that students explore their identities has led to the growth of a number of student groups, ranging from umbrella groups for all students across the LGBTQIA* spectrum to groups that provide space for specific identities within the community.

The travel team: International athletes find homes on the field at Wash. U.

International athletes make up less than three-fifths of 1 percent of Wash. U.’s 506 varsity athletes, a far cry from the 21.61 percent of international students that enumerate the University’s total enrollment.

Hamsini Living Learning Community opened in House 5 this semester, becoming the first identity group to have its own dedicated house at Washington University.

Washington University’s top political donors talk civic engagement

In total, University community members donated $58,628.68 to candidates and organizations on both sides of the aisle.

Opinion | Solidarity among minorities is largely performative, but it doesn’t have to be

Monumental changes in society cannot be done alone. We need each other more than ever.

Bosnian restaurants, coffee shops and even travel and insurance agencies line the streets of Bevo Mill, with signs and flyers written in both English and Bosnian, earning the area the nickname of “Little Bosnia.”

Quiz: How could Danforth Campus be more accessible?

Even the slightest changes, from a propped door, to larger ones, such as missing elevators, could make campus much easier to travel for all students.

In your own words: Washington University in focus

Check out the results from Student Life’s most recent survey, covering topics from socioeconomic status to political affiliation.

Home to more than 20 religious groups, Washington University’s students have taken the organizing and encouragement of religious life into their own hands.

Opinion | How to save money: Because not all of us are from the top 20th percentile

Students coming from a different socioeconomic background tend to find themselves in a community where saving money isn’t everyone else’s top priority.

Many people with physical disabilities, especially those using wheelchairs or other mobility devices, cannot enter campus buildings without accessible entrances, the majority of which are residence halls.

‘You don’t talk about it’: Conservative students at Washington University

Many conservative students at Washington University often feel like they need to hide their political views or risk social isolation on a predominantly liberal campus.

Many current Sam Fox students are struggling to keep themselves financially afloat as one project for a single class can cost hundreds of dollars to create.

Football, by the nature of its reluctance to change, has become a snapshot of a larger cultural problem related to the stereotypes of black people.

Opinion | How to talk about SES on campus: A guide for students

If someone is raised with money, it can be hard for to see the viewpoint of those who were not so privileged. This may lead to small, mindless comments that make others feel out of place, awkward or even ashamed.