5 stars whose music careers are seriously underrated

| Editor-in-Chief

More than acting, modelling or starring in a reality TV show, music is generally believed to require some sort of talent. When it comes to entertainment, the music industry is in many ways held to a higher standard, where people are quicker to criticize than to compliment—especially when it comes to Top 40 jams.

But with the advent—and popularization—of auto-tune, anyone can have a successful music career, at least for a while. Here, I take a look at five stars who are surprisingly talented singers, or at least have had a couple of tunes worth listening to.

Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton might be best known as an heiress and reality TV star (I personally recommend watching “Paris Hilton’s My New BFF,” if you haven’t seen it yet), but her music is surprisingly catchy. Hilton spends much of her time these days DJing, but it’s clear that she knows her way around music outside of the booth, too. Her best-known song, “Stars Are Blind,” is worth giving a listen. If you don’t have it stuck in your head for about a week, I’ll give you a dollar.

Jennifer Lawrence

You might know Jennifer Lawrence from her roles in “The Hunger Games” or “Silver Linings Playbook,” but she’s a surprisingly talented singer as well. Despite a self-professed hatred of singing, Lawrence has proven her vocal chops. She recorded “The Hanging Tree” for “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1” in 2014—and the song debuted at No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100. Petition for Lawrence to star in a musical, anyone?

Leighton Meester

In the late ’00s and early ’10s, Leighton Meester seemed to be everywhere. Not only was she the star of “Gossip Girl,” one of the biggest TV shows of the day, but she also was making music—and getting a lot of airplay. Meester was featured on Cobra Starship’s 2009 hit “Good Girls Go Bad,” a song that you definitely jammed out to in middle school. Meester also worked with Robin Thicke on the tune “Somebody to Love,” a lesser known song that is a truly underrated banger.

Lindsay Lohan

I love Lindsay Lohan. As an actress, I’m a fan of hers in “Mean Girls,” “Herbie: Fully Loaded,” “The Parent Trap” and so many more. I’m (slightly) embarrassed to admit that I’m also a fan of Lohan as a singer. In “Freaky Friday,” Lohan sings a song called “Ultimate”—and in the early 2000s, I purchased a Disney compilation CD with that tune on it. Flash forward to 2018, and I still have that song downloaded on my phone (thanks, Apple Music). It’s. So. Good.

Gwyneth Paltrow

These days, Gwyneth Paltrow is best known for having a daughter named Apple and running a lifestyle website for the wealthy. But the Academy Award winner proved her vocal talent when she appeared on “Glee.” Paltrow and Matthew Morrison do a duet of “Singing in the Rain/Umbrella” on the TV show, which is where I first learned of her vocal prowess. And honestly, I was impressed. Paltrow may not have the vocal range of Lea Michele or guest star Idina Menzel—both Broadway stars—but she might find as much success releasing an album as she did as an actress.