Social media deepens divide

Photo sparks criticism of POC solidarity, online apology, anti-Asian backlash on social media

| Breaking News Editor

alas

A Snapchat depicting two sophomore Asian-American students was met with criticism from members of the Washington University community and beyond this weekend. A Facebook post by sophomore Morgan Bryant on Saturday prompted the initial response, as Bryant, who is black, described her reaction to the photo.

The photo, picturing the two girls wearing multi-colored face mask beauty products along with the caption “we’re in the zulu (sic) tribe,” was shared by one of the girls on her Snapchat story Friday night—a friend then shared a screenshot of the photo with Bryant, who decided to share the photo along with her response on Facebook.

By press time, the post had garnered 406 reactions and 254 shares on Facebook. The photo itself was also shared by users on Twitter and other platforms.

In her original post, Bryant wrote that she didn’t want to see more discussion groups and diversity centers set up on campus, as has happened in response to previous incidents of bias and racism on campus. She also noted her feelings on solidarity amongst people of color.

“[People of color] Solidarity is nothing but another method of overworking Black bodies and having us do all of the footwork while everyone else cowers behinds us and continues to abuse us,” she wrote.

One of the students pictured in the photograph also shared Bryant’s post on her own page and added an apology, while no longer public, noting that she was “reckless” to post and had not intended to cause offense.

“Last night we were putting face masks on our faces, and we simply thought the shapes and patterns resembled tribal art. We know we were being very ignorant and inconsiderate, and we would really like to apologize for our immaturity,” the student wrote.

Emi Wyland, a Korean-American sophomore, took to Facebook after seeing Bryant’s post to share her own thoughts in the form of a lengthy essay. She said that the post was meant to encourage Asian-American solidarity with other people of color.

“When I saw Morgan [Bryant]‘s post I was immediately abhorred and disappointed, but not incredulous. It is tragic, yet unsurprising that Asian students donning blackface and joking about it on social media is the consequence of a toxic mix of Asian anti-blackness and Wash. U.’s culture of white supremacy and privilege,” Wyland said.

A Chinese-American sophomore who wished to remain anonymous agreed that anti-black sentiments are rampant in the Asian-American community.

“I think Asian-Americans need to work way harder to keep anti-blackness out of our community, it is so prevalent,” she said. “I’m pretty sure that every Asian-American has had an older relative tell them that they can’t date black people or to be careful around black people, or things around those lines, and it’s such a problem.”

Dozens of people from both inside and outside of the Washington University community commented on the original post with words of support for Bryant, but not all of the comments were positive, and many were specifically anti-Asian.

“I can definitely understand where they were coming from because it seems the anti-blackness within the Asian community is so strong. Her sentiments were not just her sentiments—they’re cultural sentiments,” Bryant said. “We shouldn’t have to say ‘not all Asians’ or ‘not all black people’ just like we don’t say ‘not all men’ because enough of them are doing it—too many of them are doing it.”

The same Chinese-American student said that the addition of commenters from outside of the Washington University community led to violent backlash.

“[The students] did something super racist and insensitive and [they] should have been called out for it, but I don’t think the callout was handled perfectly, and once it came to the attention of non-Wash. U. students it really spiraled out of control,” she said. “Say what you want to say about [the students] but I think [their] original thing was mostly out of ignorance than actually trying to violently cause hurt.”

Senior Christian Ralph, who is black, agreed that the comments went too far, noting that it could be creating even more issues on campus.

“I think it’s way too easy to just condemn them in the harshest terms possible using this vile language without thinking about it,” Ralph said. “But I don’t think that compassion is a one way street. I think you can be compassionate for the people who are impacted by these words like the black students as well as the person who posted it who are just getting these terrible, terrible comments.”

Many commenters called for the pictured students’ expulsion; Bryant agreed with the idea.

“I think [the calls] are justified. People usually don’t learn until they have to suffer from some repercussions. I don’t think she was genuinely sorry that it happened because had it not gotten out, she wouldn’t have said anything,” Bryant said.

Ralph, however, thought that expulsion might be too drastic a measure.

“I think all of us make mistakes at some point in our lives and I think the focus should not be on punishing people more. I think we should take instances like this seriously but I think having a very punitive response is not the good way forward,” Ralph said.

The anonymous Chinese-American student believed that the pictured students would not be expelled because the offense was not extreme enough, but added that it was also a sign that the University “isn’t really the best place for black students.”

“I don’t think it’s just about the Facebook post, I don’t think it’s just about [the students], it’s about anti-blackness in the Asian-American community and anti-blackness at Wash. U. in general and it just all came to light with this one incident,” she said.

Lori White, vice chancellor for student affairs, sent out a school-wide email on Sunday night around 9:30 p.m., noting that her office had been informed of the situation and was working directly with all of the students involved in the photo and posts.

The Korean International Student Society and the Korean Students Association plan to release a statement later this week addressing the incident, but declined to disclose any of its contents at press time. However, the groups plan to host an open discussion on the issue this Thursday.

The students in the photo in question declined to comment.

• Alex

Oh FFS. It’s not blackface, it’s facial masks. Some people need to get a life and stop taking offense at…beauty products. It’s also not racism. Jeez. I feel sorry for the two girls who posted the picture. They didn’t deserve this.

• Mienchise

While I sympathize with Bryant, “enough” still doesn’t equate to all. You could have 400 out of 500 people being racists but the 100 left are still not racist and still shouldn’t be included or attacked for what the other 400 did, especially if the 100 are fighting against the 400 themselves.

• Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo

There is no racism in the posting of this picture.
    There is no racism in the posting of any picture.

• deacon007

““When I saw Morgan [Bryant]‘s post I was immediately abhorred and
    disappointed, but not incredulous. It is tragic, yet unsurprising that
    Asian students donning blackface and joking about it on social media is
    the consequence of a toxic mix of Asian anti-blackness and Wash. U.’s
    culture of white supremacy and privilege.”

Two asian girls donning facepaint is an example of white privilege?

• Alex

It’s not face paint. It’s a beauty product, a facial mask. They’re different colors depending on what’s in them, what they’re supposed to do for your skin, etc.

• byron94

Where’s the picture with the blackface? I just see two girls with colorful face paint. Does Bryant know what blackface is?

• matt10023

That’s not even close to blackface.

• dnjsehrla

Agreed. It’s also shocking how the article fails to shed light on Ms. Bryant’s next post on Facebook, where she cites a murder that led to the LA Riots of 1992, AS IF these two incidents are related via the Korean-American connection. I find this is even more offensive than the original photograph. This situation is plagued with questionable assumptions, and Ms. Bryant should be held accountable for her reckless post that antagonizes an entire community on campus.Given the horrifying bashing that the two students received for their photos, it doesn’t make sense that Ms. Bryant is let off the hook without being called out when she is demonstrating poor consistency in argument and judgment herself.
      https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/30d46d5449cc974af47c97f73f1b8fddacf5c0fdbc1b83e3ccf671e67936bcd1.jpg