Sophomores reportedly hit by SUV in front of Brookings steps

| Senior News Editor
Emily Sybrant | Student Life

A man’s dress shoe rests within a taped-off portion of Hoyt Drive in front of Brookings Steps. The scene was marked off after two students were allegedly struck by an SUV.

See the updated version of this story here.

Updated at 12:15 p.m. on April 28.

Washington University police have taken the driver of a vehicle that reportedly struck two undergraduates near the Brookings steps late Sunday night into custody.

Sophomores Shana Zucker and Richard Lee were in fair condition at Barnes-Jewish Hospital as of 10:20 a.m., a media representative for Barnes-Jewish confirmed. According to the American Hospital Association, “fair” condition means the patients are conscious, though they may be uncomfortable, and their vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Barnes-Jewish could not provide details about any injuries the students may have sustained.

A statement from Chancellor Mark Wrighton that was sent out to the University community Monday morning reported that Zucker and Lee had been returning from an off-campus formal and that WUPD had located both the vehicle that had struck the students and its driver.

A MetroBus driver present on Hoyt Drive who preferred to remain anonymous said that around 11:40 p.m., he witnessed a male in an SUV driving quickly on Hoyt, hitting two students who were in a large group and sideswiping his bus, No. 3031.

“He just plowed his way through and left. It was horrifying,” the driver said.

The bus driver said that the SUV left the scene after striking the students, and he and others called emergency services. He added that police officers had removed footage from the dashboard camera mounted at the front of his bus to examine it for identifying details of the car or driver.

The portion of Hoyt Drive just south of Brookings Hall was cordoned off with police tape by 12:40 a.m., and Washington University and St. Louis metropolitan police were on the scene. Police would not confirm whether they were treating the incident as a hit-and-run.

Don Strom, chief of the Washington University Police Department, declined comment on the situation. At press time, the University’s Office of Public Affairs did not have any additional information to provide.