Women’s soccer drops first game as UW-Whitewater gets revenge

Ten months ago, the Washington University women’s soccer team ended the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater’s season with a hard-fought 1-0 victory in the NCAA Division III quarterfinals. On Saturday, Whitewater ended Wash. U.’s undefeated season in a 1-0 contest in Bloomington, Ill.

Of more concern to the Bears than the outcome of the game, however, is the health of senior goalkeeper Lizzy Crist. Crist left the game after a collision in the 26th minute and did not return.

Then-junior Hannah Rosenberg kicks the ball during the 2015 NCAA Semifinals in Kansas City. The Bears tied 1-1 with Messiah College in regulation time, but advanced to the finals after penalty kicks.Joachim Taturi | Student Life

Then-junior Hannah Rosenberg kicks the ball during the 2015 NCAA Semifinals in Kansas City. The Bears tied 1-1 with Messiah College in regulation time, but advanced to the finals after penalty kicks.

“She came out for a ball, and one of the girls swung at it, and [Crist] swatted it with her hands,” head coach Jim Conlon said. “The foot caught the back of [Crist’s] head, so we pulled her out for precautionary reasons; [we] want to make sure she’s healthy. The medical team’s still looking at her. We don’t know how long [she’ll] out.”

Crist’s departure forced Wash. U. to transition from seasoned veteran to untested rookie mid-game. Freshman Katy Hutson, who got 64 minutes of action in the previous game—a blowout over Greenville College—stepped in and provided three saves over the final 64:56.

“[Hutson] came in and made some big-time saves and managed the game well; [she] really communicated well with her back line and did what we asked of her,” Conlon said.

In an interview prior to the game, Crist spoke about how beautifully the defense and offense have been working in tandem.

“They definitely make my life easy,” Crist said. “I think it’s been a very cohesive unit with defending and attacking. I love watching our combinations. When they ping-ping-ping and get it up and cross it in, whether or not they score, I just start smiling to myself. And when I’m not really getting many shots, which is great, knock on wood, it’s so much fun still, just getting to watch them kill it against any opponent.”

The Red and Green defense was strong again, but it slipped up just enough to allow Whitewater the margin of victory. The Bears allowed four shots on goal—as many as they had allowed in the previous four games combined—and ultimately ceded their first goal of the season in the 59th minute.

“It ended up being kind of a loose ball in the top of the box, and they just hit it behind our back line, and it dropped in to the net, so it was kind of a little ball that ended up squeaking out,” Conlon said.

Coming off an offensive barrage in which they fired a season-best 47 shots and netted eight against Greenville, the Bears were able to get off just 12 shot attempts against the Warhawks, including just three on target. That offensive output led to their first scoreless 90 of the season. According to Conlon, however, the limited offensive production wasn’t the result of a failure to get anything going. Conlon credited Whitewater’s goalie with stifling Wash. U.’s attack.

“We actually had some really good goal-scoring opportunities, and the Whitewater keeper made some wonderful saves,” Conlon said. “The offense was actually doing quite a bit of clicking. Whitewater came out a little bit higher, so maybe we didn’t post as many shots…I thought they did a great job of combining and getting good looks. The keeper was just up to the task today.”

A key member of the Red and Green attack returned after a two-game absence due to an injured foot. In her first game back, junior Rachel Mickelson led the offense with four shots taken.

“She’s back and looking good, and she was one of those that had a few of our good scoring opportunities,” Conlon said.

Another player who stood out was sophomore Caroline Dempsey, who didn’t get a recorded shot attempt, but did well to facilitate the ball for others.

“Dempsey did a good job inside the system as well, creating passing angles and scoring opportunities,” Conlon said.

The first loss of a season always provides the first chance to respond to adversity, and Conlon is excited to see what his team has in store.

“I think we’ve got women with great character and great resolve,” Conlon said. “I’m very excited to see how they bounce back tomorrow. I think we’ve got true character and this is going to test us. I’m hoping that they come out like the women I know they are.” 

On Sunday, the Bears had another notable rematch, this time against Illinois Wesleyan, a team that the Red and Green battled to secure a 1-0 win last season. Wash. U. was again unable to muster a score, but the defense locked down in front of Hutson with Crist continuing to rest, as the Bears finished in a 0-0 draw after two overtimes.

Crist should have some time to recover with the Red and Green coming up on a bit of a break in the schedule. They play just one game in the next nine days, a Friday night matchup at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.