Women’s soccer draws with Emory in top-5 clash

A goal in the 14th minute for the No. 1 Washington University women’s soccer team gave rise to thoughts of last season’s win at Emory University, when the Bears jumped out to an early lead and stood firm for a 1-0 victory.

This time around, No. 5 Emory responded in rapid fashion with an equalizer just 35 seconds later to tie the score, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw after two overtimes on Sunday at Francis Field.

Sophomore Katie Chandler dribbles the ball in Wash. U.’s game against Wheaton College on Sept. 27. The top-ranked Bears tied No. 5 Emory University in a conference bout at Francis Field on Sunday.Mary Richardson | Student Life

Sophomore Katie Chandler dribbles the ball in Wash. U.’s game against Wheaton College on Sept. 27. The top-ranked Bears tied No. 5 Emory University in a conference bout at Francis Field on Sunday.

In what was both teams’ University Athletic Association conference opener, the draw kept the Bears unbeaten at 9-0-2, while Emory also remained unbeaten with a 6-0-3 record. It was the second straight tie against a ranked opponent for the Bears, after they played to a 0-0 draw against Wheaton last weekend.

Neither side was able to generate any scoring chances until a hectic 14th minute. Senior Lillie Toaspern tallied her team-leading eighth assist of the season with a cross to the middle of the box to sophomore Katie Chandler, who one-timed the ball to score her sixth goal of the season and give the Bears an early 1-0 lead.

“I saw that [Emory’s] defenders were passing around the back and I felt like I should pressure, so I stepped up, won the ball and Katie [Chandler] did a great job of calling for it in the middle, and I found her in the middle box and she had a great finish,” Toaspern said.

Just 35 seconds later, however, Emory responded with a goal of its own when Emily Feldman connected on a cross into the box and headed past sophomore goalkeeper Lizzy Crist. It was just the second goal the Bears have allowed this season, and Toaspern attributed the goal to the team losing focus as a result of the excitement of scoring just seconds prior.

“I think we were just really excited about our own goal. We weren’t completely mentally tuned in, which is something we were trying to work on, to try to stay focused for 90 minutes, but we just had a little lapse and we’re going to work on that next game,” Toaspern said.

Junior forward Olivia Lillegraven dribbles the ball in the Bears' game against Wheaton College on Sept. 27. The Red and Green tied 1-1 in their game this weekend against Emory University.Mary Richardson | Student Life

Junior forward Olivia Lillegraven dribbles the ball in the Bears’ game against Wheaton College on Sept. 27. The Red and Green tied 1-1 in their game this weekend against Emory University.

In total, the first half was evenly played from both sides, with the Eagles possessing a narrow 9-7 shot advantage. At the beginning of the second half, the Bears had trouble containing Feldman, who had breakaway opportunities in the 57th and 58th minutes that would have been goals if not for Crist’s saves.

As the game went on, however, the Red and Green seized control of the possession in their attacking half, which resulted in several scoring chances. In the 79th minute, freshman Gillian Myer shot a one-timer at the top of the box, but it fell right into the hands of the keeper.

Toaspern had a golden opportunity in the 87th minute on a breakaway opportunity, but the Emory goalkeeper deflected the shot over the crossbar.

In overtime, the Bears’ relentless offensive pressure took a toll on a worn-down Eagles defense to the tune of a 4-0 shot advantage, but the Red and Green didn’t get any of those shots on goal as the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

“We had a lot of pressure and played most of the game in our attacking half, which is a testament to the whole team pushing forward,” Toaspern said. “We need to put our chances away, but I’m really proud of how we played today.”

The Bears sustained a few injuries throughout the game, most notably when junior Liz Collins left the game after colliding heads with senior teammate Kaylin Balley, which required a number of bench players to step up to fill the void.

“We had a couple girls not finish the game due to being banged up, and our kids just stepped up all over the field,” head coach Jim Conlon said. “Just great perseverance by bench players that were asked to do a lot today.”

Now, the injury-riddled Bears will embark on a four-game road trip over the next few weeks, beginning with another top-five showdown against No. 4 Carnegie Mellon University on Saturday.

“I’d like to get a little bit healthier,” Conlon said. “We are a little banged up, but I like where we’re at and I think we’re going to take our show on the road.”