Women’s soccer heads into weekend games with No. 1 ranking

Freshman Katie Chandler passes backward before darting upfield on Sept. 25 against Webster University. Chandler scored a goal and took five shots in the top-ranked women’s soccer team’s 4-0 win over Millikin University on Tuesday afternoon.

For only the second time in school history, the Washington University women’s soccer team has attained a No. 1 ranking in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, announced Tuesday.

The Bears defended their top ranking later that day, beating Millikin University 4-0 on the road in Decatur, Ill. Wash. U. dominated the game, outshooting Millikin 35-8. Goals from freshman forward Katie Chandler, sophomore midfielder Liz Collins, senior midfielder Kate Doyle and senior forward Lauren Steimle led the Bears to the victory.

The Bears have a 14-1 record with 12 shutouts, and the team is in the middle of an eight-game winning streak. Its lone setback was a 1-0 overtime defeat to then-No. 1 Wheaton College, which recently lost at home to Millikin, opening up a spot for Wash. U. at the top of the rankings.

The last time Wash. U. was ranked No. 1 was during the 1998 season, which saw the Bears score the most goals and have the most assists in school history, with 91 and 72, respectively. This iteration of the team has a chance to make some history of its own. Sophomore goalkeeper Amy French backs a stellar defense that has allowed only four goals all season. With three regular season games left to play, the team record of only eight allowed goals in a season, set in 1992, is within range.

The closing games will all be on the road against conference rivals. First, the Red and Green will travel to the East Coast this weekend to take on Brandeis University and New York University. The Bears will close their season at the University of Chicago Nov. 9.