Zambricki named first team All-American

| Managing Editor

Sahil Patel | Student Life

Sophomore Anna Zambricki fights through double coverage against the University of Chicago on November 3. Zambricki was named an NSCAA First Team All-American Tuesday to cap an outstanding 2012 season.

Sophomore Anna Zambricki of the Washington University women’s soccer team capped an outstanding 2012 season with another individual accolade Tuesday as she was named a National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) first-team All-American.

“It was kind of funny when [head coach Jim Conlon] first told me. I had the privilege of playing with [class of 2011 graduate] Lee Ann Felder, who was also an All-American [second team in 2011], and I just remember how much the whole team looked up to her, and that award just didn’t seem like a possibility to me. It feels awesome,” Zambricki said.

Zambricki scored 14 goals on the season to lead the University Athletic Association and was named UAA Co-Player of the Year. Zambricki also scored six game-winning goals, good for second in the conference and had hat tricks against Carnegie Mellon University on Sept. 30 and Case Western Reserve University on Oct. 29.

“It feels pretty awesome, but the things this team has accomplished together is what I’ll look back on and remember,” Zambricki said.

The team could have used her in the NCAA Sectional Finals against No. 11 Wheaton College, but Zambricki injured her ankle in the Sweet 16 game the night before, a 2-1 victory over No. 14 Concordia College.

The Bears sputtered to a 3-1 loss without her and were eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

“I had found out my season was done the day before that game, but I was still really excited because I knew what our team was capable of,” Zambricki said. “I think we had really high expectations as a team, and when it ended, everyone was kind of in shock. All we can do at this point is use it for motivation for next year and keep pushing to improve.”

The season, however, was a strong one by all accounts for Wash. U. The Red and Green set a school record with 19 wins and won their eighth UAA championship. The team also made its way to the sectional finals for the second straight season.

Zambricki was one of five Bears named to the NSCAA All-Central Region team. She was joined by senior back Nicole Martin on the first team. Sophomore Lillie Toaspern was named to the second team, and junior Kate Doyle and senior Clara Jaques picked up third-team honors.

In the offseason, Zambricki will continue to work on rehabbing her injured ankle.

“I am two weeks post-surgery, so the ankle is doing a lot better,” Zambricki said. “I can start physical therapy when I get back from break, so I’m really looking forward to that.”