Women’s soccer falls at third-ranked Wheaton, defeats DePauw

The No. 9 Washington University women’s soccer team had an up-and-down road trip this past weekend, losing to No. 3 Wheaton College 4-0 on Saturday in Illinois but rebounding Sunday with a 4-0 victory of its own against DePauw University in Indiana.

The Wheaton game was a rematch against the extremely talented team that knocked it out of the playoffs last season. The team’s veterans knew heading into the weekend what playing Wheaton meant.

“We wanted to go out onto their field, put up a big win and show them who we were this year,” senior and co-captain Emily Gosche said. “[Last year’s playoff exit] was definitely on our minds.”

The anticipation and excitement from the Red and Green was evident from the beginning of the game as both squads had strong attacks on the net, setting up clear opportunities to score. Goalie Clara Jaques’ great saves kept the game locked up with no score for the first 30 minutes of the game.

On one memorable play, Jaques and a Wheaton player collided with the ball resting just yards away from the net. Thankfully, Jaques recovered fast enough to scoop up the ball before it could be knocked into the goal. Unfortunately, Wheaton got their first of four goals just minutes later, and did not look back.

“We did a good job of containing them in the first half,” Jaques said. “All of their shots in the first [half] were manageable.”

While the Bears continued to attack Wheaton’s net, the opposing team’s goals came at regular intervals in the 34th, 48th, 57th, and 78th minutes. The Thunder also outshot the Bears 20-9 and had 9 corner kicks to the Bears’ 0.

“I don’t think we actually played that poorly. It really came down to them finishing the opportunities that they had,” Gosche said.

Jaques said, “We always go out there with the expectation of shutting out teams. I don’t think we were happy with our defensive effort. I felt good about how we closed out the game.”

“Wheaton is a very good team. We had great moments but weren’t able to put the ball in the back of the net,” coach Jim Conlon said via email.

While the Bears may have been disappointed with the loss to their rivals, they still maintained a 4-1 record heading into the game against DePauw, a lighter opponent.

“We are going to be motivated by the loss. I’m just excited to go out there with another chance to show what we got,” Gosche said after the Wheaton game. The team “had some good runs at the end” that gave it confidence going into Sunday’s battle.

Goals from Anna Zambricki (13’), Liz Collins (38’), Lillie Toaspern (55’), and Allie Betley (68’) helped the Wash. U. side cruise, improving its record to an impressive 5-1.

“The team played well,” Conlon said. “We really were able to put 90 minutes together and use our depth to put in a good result.”

The Red and Green’s effort was dominant, outshooting the Tigers by an impressive 37-4 margin.

“We played really well and kept possession all over the field. We played our game and finished our chances in front of the goal,” senior captain Nicole Martin said via email.

The Bears now have time to regroup and reflect after the Wheaton and DePauw games. They know they played well, especially down the stretch. Despite not finishing their opportunities in a loss to an elite team in Wheaton, they bounced back to shut out DePauw and pour in four goals of their own.

With two more road games on the horizon next weekend (against Illinois Wesleyan University and Rhodes College), the Bears will try to ensure that their successes travel well.