Golf ends season with fourth place finish in final match

The No. 14 Washington University golf team used a final round 307 to snag fourth place in its final match of the season at the 2016 Kathy Niepagan Spring Fling this weekend in Joliet, Ill.

The Bears sat at fourth place in the 21-team field after posting an opening round 313 on Saturday. Still, the Red and Green had to work hard to maintain its standing in the tight field. When all was said and done, No. 11 DePauw University finished in third place just one stroke ahead of the Bears and No. 2 Wittenberg University clocked in at fifth, with just two behind. With the teams jostling for position, all three posted a 19-over-par 307 on Sunday to finish the tournament in the same order in which they had finished Saturday. Indiana Institute of Technology and host No. 27 Illinois Wesleyan University tied for first, six strokes better than Wash. U.

Senior Connie Zhou led the Bears with an even-par 72 in the final round. Zhou was one of just six individuals to shoot par or better in either round this weekend. Zhou, ranked No. 52 in the nation individually, tied for fifth with four others on the individual leaderboard with a weekend total of 149. The performance helped the three-time All-American earn All-Tournament Team honors in the final game of her Wash. U. career.

Junior Jessica Wibawa (155) and sophomore Erin Drolet (158) also cracked the top-25, tying for 18th and 25th, respectively. Freshman Hanna Jia (165) finished 48th, while senior Erin Lawrence posted a season-best six-over on Sunday to finished tied for 55th in her final tournament at Wash. U.

The Bears conclude the season ranked No. 14 in the country in head coach Ellen Port’s inaugural season.