Bears wrap up fall with second-place finish

Sophomore Melanie Walsh putts to close out a hole at an earlier match. Courtesy of WUSTL photo services

Sophomore Melanie Walsh putts to close out a hole at an earlier match.

After jumping 11 spots in the Division III rankings from No. 17 to No. 6, the Washington University women’s golf team claimed second place at the University of Illinois-Springfield Prairie Star Shootout to close the fall season.

Despite achieving its highest 36-hole score of the fall (333-338, 671), the team came in second for the fourth time in six tournaments this season.

The Bears managed to put three scorers—freshman Allyson Chee (81-86, 167), freshman Andi Hibbert (85-84, 169) and sophomore Hannah Buck (84-83, 169)—in the top 10, but could not keep up with Division II University of Missouri-St. Louis (330-328, 358) at the Rail Golf Course in Springfield, Ill. The course is the former home of the LPGA’s State Farm Classic, which has crowned the likes of Annika Sorenstam, Cristie Kerr and Nancy Lopez as champions.

Chee, who tied with Buck and UMSL senior Clara Villa for fourth place, matched her best 18-hole score and set a new personal-best 36-hole score. She has also averaged nearly 3.5 strokes better per round in the second half of the season than in the first half.

“A lot of pressure came at the beginning, and as the season went along, I found that I just didn’t need that kind of pressure,” Chee said. “It took a lot off mentally and really helped me play better.”

Chee added that her strong second half didn’t necessarily provide any extra satisfaction in the long run, but it helped to make her a better collegiate golfer.

Sophomore Melanie Walsh rounded out the scoring for Wash. U. on the first day with an 83, just above her average mark for the season, but she closed out with a 91 on Sunday and fell from sixth place to 15th. Freshman Marcy Koonce filled the void left by Walsh with the second round’s fourth counting score of 85 to rebound from her opening-round 91, finishing 18th overall.

Junior Katie Homa (93-88, 181), senior captain Kate Pettinato (92-92, 184) and senior Caroline Larose (98-107, 205) also traveled with the team and played as individuals, finishing 27th, 33rd and 48th, respectively, in the 56-competitor field.

The Bears end the fall season finish with four second-place finishes, a victory, and last week’s uncharacteristic fifth place. Despite combining for scores of 325 or better, the team’s average score on the fall was just under 327. Buck led the team in scoring, followed closely by Hibbert, Walsh and Chee, while Buck was also second in D-III in scoring on both par 4s and par 5s with an average just under par on the latter. As a team, the Bears were also top 10 in D-III in both categories.

“It’s really exciting but makes sense at the same time,” said Buck, who was previously unaware of her statistical standing. “Par 5s are always my favorite, so it’s a really good feeling.”

With the season over until the spring, the team is now likely to take some time away from the game before trying to continue its run in March.

“[Finishing] second or better in almost all of our tournaments is really a confidence booster, and hopefully, it will help us keep our momentum going into the spring,” Chee said.

Despite this enthusiasm, Buck cautioned that last year served a good lesson in terms of preparation, as Wash. U. was hurt by a sluggish start last spring. She said there had already been some discussion as to how the team could do things differently after winter break.

The team’s next scheduled tournament is the Northern Kentucky University Invitational on March 26 in Perry Park, Ky.