Women’s basketball wins Wydown Showdown with ease

Sahil Patel | Student Life

Senior Lucy Montgomery dribbles down the court on a fast break in the second half of the Washington University women’s basketball team’s 83-53 victory at Fontbonne University Tuesday evening. Montgomery had a season-high 13 points off the bench for the Bears.

Fewer than five minutes into its road game at Fontbonne University, Washington University’s women’s basketball team had already built an 11-1 lead and forced the host Griffins into calling a timeout. Fontbonne never cut the lead to single digits the rest of the way, and the Bears coasted to an 83-53 win over their cross-street opponent.

Wash. U. improved its season record to 7-1, and the 30-point triumph upped the Bears’ average margin of victory to 22.6 points.

Junior forward Alyssa Johanson scored 18 points off the bench, including 16 in the first half, and tied for the team lead with six rebounds. Senior guard Lucy Montgomery added a season-high 13 points as a reserve, making two of five three-pointers to keep her season percentage at 40.

The Bears turned 28 Fontbonne turnovers into 35 points, and the Griffins didn’t make a field goal until more than six minutes had passed.

Defense “has definitely been a focus for our team recently,” Johanson said. “After our loss against [No. 1 DePauw University], we definitely went back to the drawing board…we really changed the mentality of our defense. When we are playing defense, especially in the practice environment, [head coach Nancy Fahey] started inventing different repercussions for not playing defense the way she wants us to do, so it’s definitely I think transferred in the game, and you’re seeing more steals and better defensive effort.”

After a Fontbonne layup opened the second half, the Bears went on a 16-0 run to build their lead to 35, marking the third time in the past week that Wash. U. has significantly increased its lead at the beginning of the second half.

“We definitely make an effort to have that time, the break, to be very productive in terms of talking about what we did well, what we didn’t do well, and deciding, ‘OK, this is what we’re going to do from here on,’” Johanson said about the team’s surges at the start of the second half.

The lead eventually grew as big as 41, the Bears’ largest at any point this season. After letting a 13-point lead against No. 24 Trinity University (Texas) disappear in their last game, the Red and Green made sure this one wouldn’t slip away.

“We don’t ever want to let a team back in the game once we start winning,” Johanson said. “Coach has been saying, like, we want to play someone so that they wish they’d never have to play us again. That’s kind of our mentality. We want to just put the team away.”