Track and Field race to top Div. III times

The Washington University outdoor track and field teams continued their dominance this Friday and Saturday as both the men’s and women’s teams raced to top Division III times at the Saint Louis University Invitational. Overall the men and women secured their third team title sweep of the season and combined for nine event wins against a field that included Div. I program Saint Louis University.

The men dominated the weekend, totaling 185.5 points, over 100 points ahead of second-place University of Southern Indiana (79). The women enjoyed more measured success (156.5 points), just squeaking by host SLU (149.5 points).  

Sophomore Daisy Ogede was a highlight of the women’s performances, winning both the 100m and 200m dash. Her time of 24.59 in the 200 was the fastest time in Div. III this year. Ogede added another win alongside junior Emily Warner and sophomores Rebecca Ridderhoff and Kelli Hancock in the 1,600m relay. Ogede has won at least one event in every meet she has participated in this outdoor season.

“She is on fire. From the UAA Indoor Championships forward, she’s on another planet,” head coach Jeff Stiles said of Ogede. “She’s coming like wildfire. She’s a phenomenal competitor and she’s realizing how much upside she has.”

Hancock nabbed first place with a career best time of 1:01.94 in the 400m hurdles. Her time also ranks second in Div. III this year.

Warner enjoyed a runner-up performance in the 800m with a season-best time of 2:11.04, third best in Div. III.   

Sophomore Deko Ricketts was the only member of the men’s team to clock a top-five Div. III time. He won the 800m with a time of 1:51.86, third-best in Div. III.

What the men’s team lacked in national-caliber performances, they made up for in volume. In the 800m alone the men’s team enjoyed five top eight finishes.

Stiles described the men’s wins as representative of the team’s depth, while the women’s performances represented their strength.

Next up, the Bears continue their march towards the University Athletic Association Outdoor Championships as they travel to Terre Haute, Indiana to compete in the Rose-Hulman Twilight meet on Friday.