Wash. U. track-and-field teams win five events at Keck Invite

Sahil Patel | Student Life

Junior Claire Simons vaults at the WUSTL Mini Meet on March 25, 2013. Simons finished third in the women’s pole vault this past weekend at the IWU Keck Invitational, clearing 3.47 meters.

At the IWU Keck Invitational at Illinois Wesleyan University, the Washington University men’s and women’s track-and-field teams combined for five first-place finishes as the women finished in third place and the men placed fourth out of 14 teams.

For the men’s team, sophomores Alex Arteaga and Josh Clark both won their events. Arteaga came out on top in his first career heptathlon with a score of 4,709 points, and Clark won the mile run with a career-best time of 4:19.88. Sophomores Connor Furlong, Alex Goldberg and Adam Streicher, along with freshman Mike Sullivan, were victorious in the distance-medley relay with a time of 10:45.33.

The men’s team finished with a score of 61.50 points, finishing behind Loras College (65.50), Illinois State University (72.50) and Monmouth University (100).

For the women’s team, sophomore Emily Warner won the 800-meter run with a time of 2:16.36, and senior Anna Etherington triumphed in the pole vault by clearing a height of 3.82 meters.

The Wash. U. women concluded the invite with a 91.25 score, falling behind IWU (92) and Monmouth (132.25).

“I think we did well considering the number of injuries that we’ve had and the teams that we were competing against,” Etherington said. “We’ll be getting some of top runners back soon, so hopefully we can continue to improve next weekend before [the University Athletic Association Indoor Championships].”

Next weekend, the teams will travel for two meets at the Grand Valley State University Big Meet Friday, Feb. 14 in Allendale, Mich., and the Fighting Scot Invitational in Monmouth, Ill., Saturday, Feb. 15.

With additional reporting by Derek Shyr.