Track and Field: Men and women have strong finishes at Indiana meet

Led by graduate student Pierre Hoppenot, senior Chris Malaya and sophomore Dan Davis, the Washington University men’s track and field team took second place at the Rose-Hulman Engineer Invitational this weekend in Terre Haute, Ind., while the women’s team finished third.

Monmouth College convincingly won the men’s meet with a 182-126 advantage over Wash. U. Monmouth tied with Bellarmine University on the women’s side with a score of 143.50, but the Bears, who scored 90 points, stuck to their strengths and managed to earn enough points to return home with a satisfactory result.

The men earned six first-place finishes over 16 events. Hoppenot ran a season-best 22.65 seconds in the 200-meter dash, Malaya posted a 50.61 in the 400-meter dash, and Davis recorded a 7.73 in the 55-meter hurdle. All three are undefeated in their respective events this season.

“It’s great confidence moving towards conference,” Davis said, “but I know that there’s more competition out there, so I have to look forward to that time when I might have to run a really great race to win.” Davis’ preliminary mark of 7.70 seconds is just 0.06 seconds shy of the school record.

Head coach Jeff Stiles said, “There’s bigger fish to fry. Those guys aren’t even close to where we’re going to be, and they’re intrinsically motivated to keep pushing, so it’s great what they’re doing, but they’re all going to run a lot faster by the end of the season.”

Juniors Ben Harmon, Scott Pettit and David Spandorfer also won the long jump (6.67m), pole vault (4.25m) and mile run (4:23.68), respectively. In total, the men’s side accumulated 126 points. The men’s relay squads also posted encouraging results, with the 4×400 team taking second place and the 4×200 squad taking third.

The women earned 90 points in their third-place finish thanks to solid scoring across the board. Twenty-four athletes managed to earn points, led by freshman Anne Diaz-Arrastia with her second triple-jump victory in as many appearances.

Although the women’s squad is currently working to overcome the loss of several talented graduates, the team has been satisfied with the performances of current athletes.

“I’m very pleased with the way the young athletes are stepping into scoring roles, and I know they’ll continue to get substantially better in this season and in the future,” Stiles said.

Senior captain Caitlin Hartsell, who runs short and middle distance events, added that many women ran extra events as they “trained through” the Engineer Invitational.

“[The fact that] so many girls still scored across the board despite competing in multiple events is a great sign for our future,” Hartsell said.

Other top-three performances included sophomores Erica Jackey and Elisabeth Stocking, who finished second in the 800-meter run and the 400-meter dash, respectively. Both sophomore Catie Reynolds in the 3,000-meter run and the 4×200 squad of Stocking, Diaz-Arrastia, Hartsell and sophomore Molly Wawrzyniak took third place.

The team returns to Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, Ill., over the weekend to begin the second half of the regular season at the Bob Keck Invitational.

• Correction

Relays are occasionally changed from who is listed online. The 4×200 that got third place was Diaz-Arrastia, Lola Oladini, Jennifer Ibe and Hartsell.