2013-14 athletics achievements by the numbers

2013-14 was a banner year for Washington University athletics. Three teams earned No. 1 rankings, and 10 University Athletic Association championships were brought back to the Danforth Campus. Ten student-athletes were named UAA MVPs, and the Bears’ rosters featured 28 All-Americans. Here is a review of each team’s accomplishments from the year through April 27.

Football (8-3, 3-0 UAA) – earned an NCAA playoff berth for the second time in school history; won the UAA for the second straight year.

Men’s Cross-Country – finished fourth in the NCAA championships; won the UAA for the fourth straight year.

Women’s Cross-Country – finished 21st in the NCAA championships as junior Lucy Cheadle finished fifth nationally.

Volleyball (27-8, 7-3 UAA) – made the NCAA tournament for the 27th straight year and reached the second round; senior Meghan Byrne reached 1,000 kills for her career and finished with the 12th most in school history with 1,272.

Men’s Soccer (10-4-3, 3-2-2 UAA) – head coach Joe Clarke won his 400th career game in the Bears’ 3-0 victory over Principia College Oct. 24.

Women’s Soccer (20-1-1, 7-0 UAA) – won second straight UAA title with undefeated conference season; reached NCAA quarterfinals for the third straight season; was ranked No. 1 from Oct. 29 through the end of the regular season; senior Kate Doyle was named a first-team All-American.

Men’s Basketball (24-3, 14-0 UAA) – won 19 straight games and ascended to No. 2 nationally; won third straight UAA title behind an undefeated conference season; head coach Mark Edwards earned his 600th career win in a 77-61 victory over the University of Rochester Feb. 7; seniors Alan Aboona and Chris Klimek each joined the 1,000-point club; earned third straight trip to the NCAA tournament and reached the second round.

Women’s Basketball (24-3, 13-1 UAA) – won 20th overall UAA title; made 25th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance and reached the second round; junior Melissa Gilkey scored her 1,000th career point in a 65-58 win at Rochester Jan. 31.

Men’s Swimming and Diving – freshman Michael Lagieski won an individual national championship in the 100 breaststroke March 21, becoming the fourth men’s swimmer in school history to win one; the men’s team finished 13th overall at the NCAA Championships; six earned All-American honors.

Women’s Swimming and Diving – finished eighth overall at the NCAA championships; nine earned All-American honors.

Baseball (23-15, 4-4 UAA) – senior Kyle Billig became the first player in school history to steal 100 career bases and set the school record for runs scored, now at 172.

Softball (30-15, 5-3 UAA) – won the eighth UAA championship in school history; senior Maggie Ingell became the all-time leader in runs scored with 156 and fell three hits shy of tying the school record, finishing with 217; head coach Leticia Pineda-Boutte earned her 300th career win as a collegiate coach after a 5-0 win over Principia College April 24; sophomore Annie Pitkin threw the ninth perfect game in school history in the same game.

Men’s Tennis (19-2, 3-0 UAA) – won second consecutive UAA championship; won first-ever ITA Division III National Indoor Championship by defeating Johns Hopkins University Feb. 23; junior Ross Putterman joined the 100-win club March 22; earned a No. 1 ranking from March 4-27.

Women’s Tennis (17-5, 2-1 UAA) – seniors Theresa Petraskova and Corinne Rauck each earned their 100th career victories during the season.

Women’s Golf – ranked No. 1 for first time in school history April 2; sophomore Connie Zhou featured in Sports Illustrated Oct. 23 after winning the Golfweek Fall Preview Oct. 15, firing the lowest three-day score in school history (76-72-71, 219).

Men’s Track and Field – won UAA championship in both indoor and outdoor seasons for the 12th time in school history.

Women’s Track and Field – won UAA outdoor championship.